Template Duplication

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Template Duplication

Postby waterguy1111 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:53 pm

I need a little assistance. I am in the process of making a galley door and have made my template (it matches both sides). I can't for the life of me duplicate the template for the other galley spars. What is the best method of doing this? I am using 1" thick laminated plywood. I originally was using a scroll saw but have totally butchered them up beyond recognition. Nothing is lining up. I was wondering what is the best method. I was thinking about using my router or something of that nature. Ideas please?

Thanks for all you may be able to help with!
waterguy1111
Gold Donating Member

Re: Template Duplication

Postby saltydawg » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:02 pm

waterguy1111 wrote:I need a little assistance. I am in the process of making a galley door and have made my template (it matches both sides). I can't for the life of me duplicate the template for the other galley spars. What is the best method of doing this? I am using 1" thick laminated plywood. I originally was using a scroll saw but have totally butchered them up beyond recognition. Nothing is lining up. I was wondering what is the best method. I was thinking about using my router or something of that nature. Ideas please?

Cut one real nice and use the router with a flush cutter with a bearing to make as many as you want. They will all be the same
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:29 am

saltydawg wrote:
waterguy1111 wrote:I need a little assistance. I am in the process of making a galley door and have made my template (it matches both sides). I can't for the life of me duplicate the template for the other galley spars. What is the best method of doing this? I am using 1" thick laminated plywood. I originally was using a scroll saw but have totally butchered them up beyond recognition. Nothing is lining up. I was wondering what is the best method. I was thinking about using my router or something of that nature. Ideas please?

Cut one real nice and use the router with a flush cutter with a bearing to make as many as you want. They will all be the same

That's how I did it. One good template piece, screwed it to roughed out pieces and used a trimmer bit with a bearing. Get the template real smooth though, all imperfections will be reproduced!
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby noseoil » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:35 am

There are two types of cutters which work equally well for this application. Both do the same job, but they differ in how the pilot bearing is located on the shaft. A "standard" flush-cut bit uses the bearing on the bottom of the shank, with the cutter above the bearing. They're available in 1/8" steps from 3/8" up to about 3/4" normally. A "reverse flush-cut" bit is a little different, in that it has the bearing above the cutter (carbide is used in both types, or the cutting edges would burn too quickly). The reverse type allows for a plunge type of base to drop a little at a time, making the passes easier. The standard type will try to run the entire edge cut in one pass, which means the blank needs to be pretty close to size, or the bite can be too much in a single pass.

In either case, the pattern needs to be finely finished & the exact shape, as Mick said. I used drywall screws to hold both pieces together, so there's no movement between the pattern & the blank to be cut to size.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby waterguy1111 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:03 am

Thank you Everyone! Always great Help!!! I did pick up a router bit but the bearing is on the bottom. I could not seem to find one on the top though.

Ken
waterguy1111
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:38 pm

Mine's on the bottom too mate. Worked fine for me. If your roughed out piece is a little too rough, you can let the cutter ride out a little so it takes a couple of passes to get it down to the template. Or just go nice and slow. The new piece should protrude less than half the cutter diameter past the template though.
Screw them together, trace the template onto the new piece, take them apart and cut just on the waste side of the line with your jigsaw. Put em back together and run the router around it.
I use drywall screws through the template part way into the new piece. Then I can slide the router on the untouched face of the new piece.
I matched my two sides the same way.
Every little imperfection in the first side is repeated in the other side and the hatch frames. :lol:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby saltydawg » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:25 pm

I am strange I bought a cutter that has the bearing top and bottom and a 1.25 tall cutter. That way I could use it for both top and bottom guided cuts.

I never used it as a bottom guided thou so it was a waste.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Depends on your viewpoint here, but if you're lucky, you too might smoke the guide bearing and make an oops on your template.

The template oops is forever entombed in Rose's hatch. The the notch to the right of the blue tape about 3". Every rib, except one has that. The prime rib was special.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:29 am

Hate for you to keep spending $> but it is easier to mount the router in a router table than it is to use it freehand for pattern work, particularly for the bottom-bearing router bit you have. That way you can have the template on top of the piece being cut - I use double-sided tape to hold the two together - and set the height of the router bit to the template height. For this work, you don't need a full-fledged router table. You just need a flat surface with a hole in it just big enough to accommodate your router bit. The flat surface can be supported by sides or legs.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby waterguy1111 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Thank you Everybody! So Many Ideas!! As for "Roses" ribs in the previous reply that is exactly what happened. I Might create a router table.

Thanks all!!

Ken
waterguy1111
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:43 pm

waterguy1111 wrote:Thank you Everyone! Always great Help!!! I did pick up a router bit but the bearing is on the bottom. I could not seem to find one on the top though.

Ken

I have one on the bottom from a "starter set" I bought with our router. Found top bearing bits on Amazon.

On thing with the top bearing bits is, if you somehow don't keep the router flat on the template (say with a narrow template) you can cut into your work. Do it the other way around with the bottom bearing bit and template on the bottom and the worst you can do is leave some of your work proud, which is easily fixed with another cut.

I'm sure there is no need to inquire as to how I know this. :oops:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby waterguy1111 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:05 pm

So I did make a perfect template and all is well! Thanks again everyone! The template and router worked perfectly. I did have a little bump in my wood but easily fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waterguy1111
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:15 pm

waterguy1111 wrote:My template (it matches both sides).
Ideas please?
:wine party:

My thought was a router table as well; but I :QM justifing a router lift .
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:18 pm

oldtimers!
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques