window install

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

window install

Postby Melle.17 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 pm

I got some used RV windows for $20. Couldn't pass it up. But now I gotta find a creative way to install them. My tear has 3/4 inch ply walls with 1/4 ply outside and 1/8 inside. So just over an inch thick. These windows seem to be for 2 inch thick walls. I do have the inner ring for them (which the posts I've been reading seems a lot are missing them.) So what are some ways I can install these? Also, do I use butyl tape just on the outside or on both inside and outside? THanks for your help!
Melle.17
Teardrop Builder

Re: window install

Postby Tomterrific » Fri May 07, 2021 8:23 am

Use sealant on the outside flange. You may seal each screw as I did. I see no reason to seal the inside.
My trim ring for the roof vent was too thick for my camper so I cut the ring shorter and it fit.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri May 07, 2021 2:04 pm

I am not a huge fan of Butyl Tape. It seems to continue to weep out on hot days in the sun. I prefer Elastomeric Latex Chalk. It comes in colors, never dries hard and has a rubber like consistency when it dries.

As for the windows, the easiest way is to make an approximately 1" frame to cover the extention into the cabin and put the inner ring on. I would also screw the windows on from the outside. If the windows are black, the hardware store sells small pre painted screws used for storm doors. You will get a better squeeze out with the pressure from the outside. If you are the risky type, cut the extra 1" off that sticks into the cabin and put the ring on. This will look cleaner and take up less space.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat May 08, 2021 11:13 am

See some details of a window spacer in this build, 66a) entry: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63630&start=15#p1134459
OP827
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques