water tank mounted

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Chip » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:52 am

On the hot water issue,, does anyboey have or have access to a office water cooler that is not being used,,?? ours here had a hot water tap on it and I thought it would be kinda neat to have the innards out of a cooler to put a hot water tap right in the galley,,, I dont know what would be involved with making one of these work but the mechanics cant be too difficult

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rampage » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:37 pm

Chip wrote:On the hot water issue,, does anyboey have or have access to a office water cooler that is not being used,,?? ours here had a hot water tap on it and I thought it would be kinda neat to have the innards out of a cooler to put a hot water tap right in the galley,,, I dont know what would be involved with making one of these work but the mechanics cant be too difficult

chipper

Thats a pretty cool idea, Chip.
Maybe you can call the bottled water delivery places in your area and ask for broken units that the hot water part still works. You could probably get it free. It might take some work to get the right person on the phone, just keep at it.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby schreimaster » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:18 pm

madjack

Good looking setup, I'm going to install my water tank this weekend, it's a knock off of your idea.

I was wondering if the pump should be enclosed, to protect it from the elements :thinking: Not sure if I trust the electrical connecting on the pump to be water tight?

Planning on finishing up next week, headed to the Keys on friday, if all goes well.
Lifes not a problem to be solved, but an adventure to be lived!
schreimaster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Georgeandpat » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:02 pm

Madjack, I happen to be right at the point in my build where I am installing "utilities". When I first heard your idea about a PVC water tank I was interested. Now that I see it I am convinced that this is the way for me to go. Maybe I missed it but is there any concern about the PVC or the glue contaminating the water? Is the water safe to drink? Thanks, George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:25 pm

George, do you have water in your house, at work, in the restaurants you go to, if so it traveled in the same type pipe we used...look for SCH40 PVC pipe, it should have a NSF (National Sanitary Foundation) labeling on it...this is the same stuff used all over the country for water pipe
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Georgeandpat » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:41 am

Madjack, Thanks. I guess I never thought about what the city uses to deliver the water. I have copper piping in my house and have wondered why PVC wouldn't be used if it is so great. George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:45 am

Georgeandpat wrote:Madjack, Thanks. I guess I never thought about what the city uses to deliver the water. I have copper piping in my house and have wondered why PVC wouldn't be used if it is so great. George.

...smaller diameter PVC has problems with expansion/contraction and unless it is used with an expansion joint, it has a tendency to pop apart at the fittings(Iwas a journeyman plumber in another life)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Georgeandpat » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:50 pm

I wonder if the "U" shape is the most effective shape for the water tank? Would an "0" or an "H" or some other shape allow more storage capacity for the given space? Any thoughts? :thinking:
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:57 pm

Georgeandpat wrote:I wonder if the "U" shape is the most effective shape for the water tank? Would an "0" or an "H" or some other shape allow more storage capacity for the given space? Any thoughts? :thinking:

Back when I was considering installing a sink, I thought of using a PVC water tank too. I was just going to use 1 tube but was baffled (ha ha) on how to keep the water from sloshing around. I think MJ's design is the best solution. The problem with an "O" is that the entire contents will slosh around it. An "H" will not allow for complete drainage. Water will hang out at the ends. You would also need a vent at each of the extremities so that you can fill it (you are rarely parked level).
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby TomS » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:51 pm

madjack wrote:George, do you have water in your house, at work, in the restaurants you go to, if so it traveled in the same type pipe we used...look for SCH40 PVC pipe, it should have a NSF (National Sanitary Foundation) labeling on it...this is the same stuff used all over the country for water pipe
madjack 8)

Yeah, and if you live in a house that's over 20 years old and has copper pipes, chances are the solder used on those pipes contains lead. I remember the stuff was banned in Mass. shortly after I bought my house in '86.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:08 pm

...as a long time trucker pulling tankers, I can tell you that the concern with sloshing is front to back and not side to side unless you are doing 90 thru the "S"s or Chicanes...also the volume of water and the momentum built up is of little concern for the amount of water present...also for those who wanted pics of the fill, well here they are...the pipe rises in the center cabinet, 90's to the right and runs out to the fill opening on the side of trailer...
madjack 8)
ImageImage
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Georgeandpat » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks for the pics MJ.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques