Aluminum Molding Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Aluminum Molding Question

Postby Capebuild » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:42 pm

I'm planning on applying insert type roof edge molding (Vintage Technologies) all around the side wall aluminum sheet where it meets the aluminum sheet roof and where it travels around the underneath (at the bottom of the side wall). I've got these two cut outs where the axle protrudes out from the bottom on both sides. I don't think the aluminum trim will be able to bend around the radius corners on those two cut outs as shown in the attached image. I could probably change the molding in those two areas around the cut outs to be some other kind of molding with less of a leg.......or maybe not have any molding in that area as it won't be seen but will then be exposed to the elements..........I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions on how to handle that area.
Thank you for any suggestions.....
John
Attachments
TRAILER REAR BACK DEVELOPMENT-9.11.21.jpg
TRAILER REAR BACK DEVELOPMENT-9.11.21.jpg (105.74 KiB) Viewed 392 times
molding.jpg
molding.jpg (51.95 KiB) Viewed 392 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Aluminum Molding Question

Postby John61CT » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:22 pm

Strong but flexible sealant / adhesive

maybe with a "rubber" L trim

3M 5200 is almost too strong, cannot be undone, 4200 may be better

Sikaflex has a good line
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:21 pm

John, I sand/dish out the aluminum insert molding for it to wrap around the tight bend.
I then use aluminum channel molding I got at Lowes to do the underside of the wall since it has 2 legs vs the one on the insert molding..
I don't have a dish out area like in your image, so I have no clue how to address that issue.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:30 pm

I too think you can relieve the foot a bit with a belt sander and have it conform.

In the axle area, Vintage Technologies HT09 trim will work fine.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:25 am

Thanks for the replies. The idea of rubber L trim is interesting in that I can use some heat to soften it and conform it to the bend. I'm using some Trimlok PVC edge trim for the windows which may work for the wheel area. I had considered the HT09 but that is not wide enough to span the thickness of the wall (could use 2 pieces, one from each side. I'll have to ponder this a bit more, but thanks again for the help and suggestions.

John
EDIT: I'm wondering if I even need to put a molding on the dished out area. Maybe the moldings that do run along the bottom can sort of fade out just before the dish out and that dished out area can just be painted to protect it. Any thoughts on that? Thanks!
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:26 am

Additional question.... for those that have aluminum sided their builds and with the side wall extending down beyond the chassis (so the edge of the side wall is NOT sitting on the chassis)..... do you apply a strip of aluminum to the exposed edge of the bottom of the side wall that is facing the road?

thanks
John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:54 am

I had considered the HT09 but that is not wide enough to span the thickness of the wall ...

You might consider a strip of fiberglass cloth/epxoy over this wall edge to seal it up and then apply the trim.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:38 pm

Capebuild wrote:Additional question.... for those that have aluminum sided their builds and with the side wall extending down beyond the chassis (so the edge of the side wall is NOT sitting on the chassis)..... do you apply a strip of aluminum to the exposed edge of the bottom of the side wall that is facing the road?

thanks
John

John, that’s where I put aluminum “C” channel.
I goop it up with sealant and secure it with stainless steel screws.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Capebuild » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:05 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:John, that’s where I put aluminum “C” channel.

Got it!! Thanks Danny.... you did mention that, I just didn't put 2 and 2 together. That sounds like a good way to go. I just need to find a channel molding
that will fit nicely over my wall thickness which is slightly over 1.125"....
with the aluminum skin on, it would be another .040. Actually if I use 2 "L" moldings, one for the inside, one for the outside and they overlap..... I can adjust them to match the wall thickness.
I like that idea.....
thanks Danny!!

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:02 am

Just a follow up.... I cut out a piece of ply to use as a bending fixture following the outline of the axle area. The aluminum molding bends fairly easily. Kind of slowly clamped down on the the ply pieces with the molding sandwiched between the two..... came out well. This was just a test strip... but think this might work okay. Thanks again for the suggestions.

John
Attachments
clamp1.jpg
clamp1.jpg (209.22 KiB) Viewed 194 times
clamp 2.jpg
clamp 2.jpg (174.03 KiB) Viewed 194 times

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:03 am

Capebuild wrote:Just a follow up.... I cut out a piece of ply to use as a bending fixture following the outline of the axle area. The aluminum molding bends fairly easily. Kind of slowly clamped down on the the ply pieces with the molding sandwiched between the two..... came out well. This was just a test strip... but think this might work okay. Thanks again for the suggestions.

John
Very nice

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:09 pm

Nice work on that homemade jig!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques