Where is all this aluminum at.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Where is all this aluminum at.

Postby Billy Schutte » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:45 pm

I'm planning my trailer and am having trouble locating aluminum for the roof. The pieces at Home Depot are too small. I was also wondering about the glue for attaching it. Any advice will be appeciated.

Finally I'm more of a wood guy so my sides are going to be made of oak. What kind of finish last the best? I've used varathane on outdoor funiture, with some success but was wondering about epoxy finishes. Again any advise.
There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein
Billy Schutte
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:01 pm

How wide is your trailer?

You will have to go to a metal supplier for most sheets. Mine has 4X10 sheets in stock. For a 5ft wide trailer I found some at a place that makes/fixes semi trailers. They have sheets that are 101" and as long as you need.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Where is all this aluminum at.

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:08 pm

Billy Schutte wrote:I'm planning my trailer and am having trouble locating aluminum for the roof. The pieces at Home Depot are too small. I was also wondering about the glue for attaching it. Any advice will be appeciated.

Finally I'm more of a wood guy so my sides are going to be made of oak. What kind of finish last the best? I've used varathane on outdoor funiture, with some success but was wondering about epoxy finishes. Again any advise.

Hi Billy,
Welcome to the wonderful world of building tear drops. We have found lots of places in the country to buy aluminum, so if we knew your latitude and longitude we might be able to help you in your search. Many people use no glue on the aluminum, they are the ones that "float" it. attached only at the edges and doors etc. Others use silicone, some use Henerys products while some other use carpet adhesive. As far as side finishes there are as many answers to that question as there was to the aluminum gluing..

Billy - look up at the top of the page where you signed in, see "Rich's list"? Lots of info you are looking for.

"Geocacheing" did you mean Geocaching? Sound like fun, what kind of treasure do you hunt for?
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi Billy,

Welcome to the forum...

Have you checked out SAF?

http://www.saf.com/alumsheet.html

They have free shipping too!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:51 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
"Geocacheing" did you mean Geocaching? Sound like fun, what kind of treasure do you hunt for?

I thought everyone hunted for travel bugs...
http://www.geocaching.com/

Mike...

P.S. Does that mean this is a hijacking?

P.P.S. Okay un-hijacked... You can also get aluminum at the metals store...
http://www.metalsupermarkets.com
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Billy Schutte » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:54 pm

Thanks for the tips I'm looking forward to this project. If I don't drive my wife crazy before I'm done I'll consider it time well spent . I do geocache, out of Laramie Wyoming. My handle there is The Schuttes.

My plan is for a Benroy with wood sides and an aluminum top. I've already got the trailer and the material for the floor. Thats it for March as I am spreading the cost out for a few months. Hopefully we can use it on vacation in August. I've started the picture collecting, and I've started a spreadsheet to keep track of every penny, I thought it would be a good thing to post when I'm done. I'll post some pictures when I'm home, this is not my computer.

If you wanted to know anything more I'm a 40 year old Firefighter with two teenage daughters and a 16 year marriage.
There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein
Billy Schutte
Donating Member

Postby rampage » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:08 am

Whats the standard gauge sheet aluminum everyone uses?
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:29 am

minimum-.032/maximum-.060....whatever you can find is basically OK.................................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jim_in_Omaha » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:17 am

I found at a semi-trailer shop, aluminum sheet. It is 8 foot wide and as long as you want it. Thickness is .040. They use it for the roofs. On a huge roll and they cut off however much you want. At the time they wanted $12 per linear foot. They also had large white sheets that were like 10 feet long by 4 foot wide. They were $64 each. The thickness is .040

If you go to this web site and click on the truck camper on the right side and go through his pictures you will see the rolls of aluminum that was used. It looks like the stuff I saw.

http://buildyourowntraveltrailer.irv2.com/

thx
Jim

Billy Schutte wrote:I'm planning my trailer and am having trouble locating aluminum for the roof. The pieces at Home Depot are too small. I was also wondering about the glue for attaching it. Any advice will be appeciated.

[url][/url]
Jim_in_Omaha
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques