A good method to remove butyl’ed doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

A good method to remove butyl’ed doors

Postby Bretster » Mon May 29, 2023 9:21 pm

Anybody have a good method to remove doors and vent sealed using butyl tape. Construction of TD is skeletonized ply, doors are commercial. Butyl is fairly new so I am hoping that makes it easier.

Thanks in advance!

Bret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bretster
Teardrop Builder

Re: A good method to remove butyl’ed doors

Postby S. Heisley » Tue May 30, 2023 3:52 pm

If you are writing of Butyl tape, true butyl tape is not a new product. It has been around for many years.
Some people, even salespeople who don't know their products, think RV Putty Tape is butyl tape. It is not.
RV putty tape is a fairly new product. It is usually a standard gray-ish color whereas butyl tape comes in several colors.
RV putty tape lasts about 10 years before it has to be replaced. Some of RV putty tape can be picked or scraped off by hand.
I have used alcohol and a dry cloth to clean the rest and followed up by rubbing with a dry cloth to get the remaining residue.
Maybe somebody has a better way but that's what I do.

If you used real butyl tape, that's another story.....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: A good method to remove butyl’ed doors

Postby Bretster » Wed May 31, 2023 11:57 am

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t very clear, I meant the butyl tape was installed fairly recently. It did make it easier. It was butyl based.

The harder job was removing the hurricane hinge. I used Silka to fill the screw holes and I guess I overdid it as it seeped in behind and essentially glued the hinge to the TD. Removing it involved two putty knives, sandpaper to clean things up and the usual elbow grease.

Bret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bretster
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques