pop up camper

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

pop up camper

Postby jlsmith37804 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:25 am

Greetings all,
I just acquired a Palamino pop up camper for a reasonable price. I had notions of repairing the roof and canvas, but have found water damage extending down. I'm looking at a complete frame up build now. I was wondering about a teardrop style of build, but using the still functional popup function, to make it a standing room camper. I've built a foamy boat, and have thoughts of incorporating that material in the roof. I havent found much other than hard side builds with a popup. I want to keep the weight down to ease gas consumption, as well as tow height.
Any projects like that out there, or thoughts about the concept?
jlsmith37804
Teardrop Inspector

Re: pop up camper

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:59 pm

There are few strategies I've seen.

The "hi-lo" which is basically two boxes, the bottom with an open top and the top with an open bottom that telescope into each other.

Another is basically a pop-up with tip up hard sides.

The third would a teardrop, grasshopper or square back profile that has a partial section of the roof that lifts. That give a relatively small area to stand in to for example, change clothes but not really enough to walk around.

Here's a place to start:https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969&hilit=Lifting+roof

A popular option with a standard teardrop is to set up a large screen tent next to it for standing room and just use the teardrop for sleeping.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jlsmith37804 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:15 pm

Thanks! this site has such a vast amount of information!
jlsmith37804
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:35 am

I went soft side and full foamie roof. Page 6 really shows the roof and lift system I use. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=72408&hilit=woods&start=75

I found with time the span was too much without additional support and added 3 aluminum spars. If I was to do it again, I'd build a double lift meaning you could lift one end (or the other) or both. This allows for most wind conditions better. I'll search again for his design and forward it if you so wish.

Most soft side lifts, including the standard pop-up, uses the material (sides) as side to side (sway) resistance. Personally don't like the idea of it and see far too much stress on the material. That's where I followed the Aussies and designed my 'H' lift bracket. That solved the side to side sway and added a adjustable angle brace for the front to rear. That worked out great. You get a glimpse of the side angle on this page: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=72408&hilit=woods&start=105

Looking forward to your build!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RBB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:48 pm

For what it is worth... I am building a "standie" from an old pop up frame. Progress has been slow... but i have striped down to the frame, and have a design drawn up... the build starts this spring...
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques