Ideas on how to replicate the Intech Flyer Discover Tip-out

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Ideas on how to replicate the Intech Flyer Discover Tip-out

Postby sethneal » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:11 pm

I have a cargo trailer I'm wanting to convert into a camper, the problem is, I still use the cargo trailer for actually hauling non-camper stuff! But, I just recently ran across this camper from Intech and absolutely want to try and replicate what they are doing. I would be a perfect compromise. The tent part seems straightforward enough; although its going to mean some custom tent making (I'm assuming). But the more interesting problem is the actual "tip out" and how to support it. Obviously I'll need to weld in some supports for this area. But I'm not sure how to go about replicating the actual mechanism. Any ideas? I really love this idea and hope I can figure something out. Here's a link to the trailer so you can see what I mean by "tip-out".

https://intech.com/rv/models/flyer/discover/

Thanks for any thoughts and insight into how to re-create this.
sethneal
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Ideas on how to replicate the Intech Flyer Discover Tip-

Postby GTS225 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:00 am

That is a pretty neat unit. Too bad one couldn't get a "kit" insert to install into the wall(s) of your already owned cargo trailer. I see it appears that they have cable supports from the outboard ends of the tip-outs to the upper wall, rather than the old-school tube supports under the beds.
I think it shouldn't be too hard to build the basic structure, but agree that it's going to take some custom tentwork for the soft enclosure. I might also suggest some kind of shutter mounted on the inside that one can close to protect the soft sides while carrying cargo. And rather than a full arch on the outboard ends of the sift cover, bend you tubing/1" EMT into half of a hex. That should make it a bit easier to cut and sew the soft cover.

Just my thoughts.....Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:28 am

You might be able to find something like a square two or three person tent to use as your starting material. Then open one wall up to mate with the trailer side and size the platform to fit.

The structural challenge will be to beef up the side wall of the trailer to handle the sideways force of the tip out and the weight of the sleepers (unless you want to put legs on the bottom of the tip out platform.)
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby chopperwalker » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:19 am

I have this same desire to implement and have looked at the InTech a well. I did find an after market tip out just like this somewhere but I recall it being very expensive. I will check and see if I saved a link or can find it again. My latest thoughts have been around fold-out hard sides instead of fabric (easier for me to build than sew and I like the idea of not having to dry the fabric if it rains).
chopperwalker
Teardrop Builder

Postby chopperwalker » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:23 am

This was the link I had but it's dead now and can't find it on their site now: http://www.united-trailers.com/Pop-Out-Tent

Wayback link for the example: https://web.archive.org/web/20190804152 ... p-Out-Tent
chopperwalker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Squigie » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:43 pm

All you need is a piano hinge that is well attached to the wall.
For the outer support, they're using internal cables that appear to attach to the same outer points as the canopy supports - or very near them. You could use external poles, internal or external cables, or a ridiculously strong frame and custom hinge with a stop.
Internal cables are easier, allow the bed to be tilted in by one person, without having to go outside and untangle a cable that goes astray, and can be used as the 'handles' to pull the bed in.
But cables will always wear on the canvases and leave marks. Do you want those marks inside? Or outside?
Either way, you'll need a canopy support inside, and those wear on the canvases, as well.
I'd just go with internal cables.

----

You can buy canvases for slide-out or tip-out bunks from several places and skip the R&D on the canvas.
This place, for example, will do a custom bunk for $575, with proven materials and methods.
Or, you can pick an OEM pattern and have a pair of bunks ("wings") made for about $650-1,000.
https://www.bearcreekcanvas.com/Content/Pricing.cfm

I just priced a few examples that I knew bed sizes for:
'91 Starcraft; queen/twin. $750
'99 Coleman; queen/double. $850
'82 Rockwood; twin/double. $850

The Rockwood might seem oddly expensive for less canvas. But I know that those bed canvases are individual panels, zipped together, rather than a single assembly of canopy and walls; and they (should) have triple-reinforcement around the edges, because they were screwed to the bed tray, body, and roof, rather than attached with a welt in a track.)
The Coleman, in addition to using a lot of material, has extra corner and canopy support reinforcement and triple-layered windows increasing its price: Fixed screen, zipped tinted plastic, and zipped canvas.

So some research would definitely be warranted, if you want to pick an OE design to order.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:37 pm

Don't know the manufacturer of this one either.

Trailer Grave yard :thinking:
Attachments
Bed.JPG
Bed.JPG (25.62 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:48 pm

Interesting concept. Rather than canvas, could you build the walls of the tip out of frp panels or xps foam?
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques