Teak hardwood Floor

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Teak hardwood Floor

Postby RBB » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:30 am

Looking for some comments, good idea, bad idea, etc...

I have access to enough Teak Hardwood flooring boards (for free!) to do the entire floor of my "standie" in Teak Hardwood. It will be significantly heavier then some of the other options, but I am thinking it will LOOK significantly better, and last significantly longer, and be significantly more durable...

Thoughts? Do I proceed with Teak, and work out the weight issue somewhere else on the build... or do I skip it and go with something else...

Thoughts?

**Edit**
Did some quick calculations:
5/8" ACX Sanded ply + VTC Tiles = 200lbs overall, $390
3/4" ACX Sanded Ply + VTC Tiles = 225lbs overall, $410
1/2" ACX Sanded Ply + Teak Floor = 310lbs overall, $150

Save $250 but add 75-100lbs? Worth it?
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Re: Teak hardwood Floor

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:44 am

I'd sure be tempted!

What is your overall goal for trailer weight? I guess you feel you need the 1/2" ply for underlayment? Or is that the entire floor (besides the teak)? If that is just the sheet on top of a frame, maybe 1/4" ply would be sufficient? I don't know.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Teak hardwood Floor

Postby RBB » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:25 pm

My goal is around 2000lbs Dry weight...
I was thinking the 1/2" ply under the Teak (3/4") for a total of 1.25" floor thickness. I need SOME structure to the floor as the frame on it's own has a little flex. I might be able to get away with 3/8" ply for the Subfloor under the Teak... if i can find a way to make the teak part of the "structure" attached directly to the metal frame...

My bigger concern with the teak is the durability... I know Teak is IMPACT resistant and water resistant, but if a drag a 50L cooler across a TEAK floor for loading/unloading... I would really hate to damage it...
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques