Question about my frame and floor

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Question about my frame and floor

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:09 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:
23Sojourney45 wrote:
Putting down dots of glue is actually a good way to meter out the glue. But still use card to spread out the dots. And do spritz with water to make sure the glue cures.

The wood framing in your floor will provide most of the strength, but gluing the foam will make the floor stiffer.

This style of floor has been used alot (including in my now 10 year old trailer), you'll be fine.

Pmullen, awesome, I'm hoping that mine will reach 10 years as well lol
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby steve cowan » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:53 pm

Used tite bond 2 between foam and plywood.Most any glue compatible with foam will do.Spread it out as others suggested.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:27 pm

steve cowan wrote:Used tite bond 2 between foam and plywood.Most any glue compatible with foam will do.Spread it out as others suggested.

Steve, thanks for the suggestion! Its great to have a forum like this one to promote the DIY mindset and there's no such thing as "one way only way". There are so many options for all of us that have worked for some, and not for others, which is fine.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:32 pm

"The wood framing in your floor will provide most of the strength, but gluing the foam will make the floor stiffer."

iirc, with 1/4" ply just the wood spars up to around 10 to 12" on center will get the most out of ply. Beyond that the skins will begin to deflect under maximum loadings. If you compared just the wood 10 to 12" on center to only foam and no wood, they'd be about equal. The ply is nearly all the strength, and just needs to be held apart.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby 23Sojourney45 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:23 pm

QueticoBill wrote:"The wood framing in your floor will provide most of the strength, but gluing the foam will make the floor stiffer."

iirc, with 1/4" ply just the wood spars up to around 10 to 12" on center will get the most out of ply. Beyond that the skins will begin to deflect under maximum loadings. If you compared just the wood 10 to 12" on center to only foam and no wood, they'd be about equal. The ply is nearly all the strength, and just needs to be held apart.

Thanks QueticoBill, so it does matter how far apart things are spread :thinking: , its true because the farther it goes out the less integrity it will have....causing overbuilding to make up the difference IMO.
23Sojourney45
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dardack » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:11 pm

steve cowan wrote:Used tite bond 2 between foam and plywood.Most any glue compatible with foam will do.Spread it out as others suggested.

If I only have Tite Bond III does that matter? (i just have a bunch left over from my basement build).
dardack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:14 pm

If I only have Tite Bond III does that matter?

That's fine. Equal strength with more open time.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby philpom » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:13 pm

If it's not too late, I'd go ahead and add a beam in the middle and end any doubt. If it flexes a little with both of you laying in it then what happens if..... you know, you both roll over at the same time in the middle of the night? It would be horrible for it to crack or something a year or 2 after you finished it.

Another thought, when we camp we sometimes load full large coolers in the cabin for transport along with totes and other things. Those are heavy and no doubt some of the bumps in the road could produce some serious dynamic weight loads on the floor.

Good luck and have fun!
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby dardack » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:36 am

philpom wrote:If it's not too late, I'd go ahead and add a beam in the middle and end any doubt. If it flexes a little with both of you laying in it then what happens if..... you know, you both roll over at the same time in the middle of the night? It would be horrible for it to crack or something a year or 2 after you finished it.

Another thought, when we camp we sometimes load full large coolers in the cabin for transport along with totes and other things. Those are heavy and no doubt some of the bumps in the road could produce some serious dynamic weight loads on the floor.

Good luck and have fun!

Not too late, just planning. My first kid heading to college 2nd is 2 years, so I hope to finish within 2 years. This is more planning, checking ebay/craigslist/marketplace for the propex heater and other things to try and get cheaper. No rush you know. Thanks.
dardack
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques