gluing aluminum sides to the wood or float it??

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

gluing aluminum sides to the wood or float it??

Postby toys4tj » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:34 pm

Hi,
I am new here & I was hoping someone could awnser a ? for me... I saw it in a post a few days go but now I can't seem to find it....sorry if this is a repeat question.

Anyway, here is the ?.... We are thinking on glueing the aluminum sides to the wood.... & I remember reading the glue has to be flexible.... I thought I saw someone that used a glue by Henry picked up @ the HD, (there was a pic of it posted) I thought it was a black bucket.

Anyone have any input on what glue to use or if it should be glued?? I know some of you are floating the aluminum..... are there pro's & con's??

Any info is GREATLY appriciated... we hope to apply the skin tomorrow :shock: (Saturday)

TJ
toys4tj
Teardrop Builder

gluing aluminum . . . .

Postby rooster » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:29 pm

toys, I glued my aluminum to the sides of my tear using Home Depot's store brand outdoor carpet adhesive and it worked out well. Put on a medium to light coat of adhesive with a 1/8" trowel, make sure its even.
It good to have a couple of extra guys or gals to help put it on. I started at the top, making sure it was straight, holding the rest away from the side and having someone duck tape the top of the aluminum to the top of the tear, then with a rubber roller smooth it out. Let it set overnight.

Jim, :thumbsup:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:42 pm

I glued mine on the old fashion way with contact cement. It worked out OK, but it took some planing and some help to get it done. The problem with contact cement is, if you make a mistake, it's a BIG problem. If I were doing it again, I'd go with the carpet glue.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:46 pm

There has been a number of discussions on just this subject... here is one that come to mind...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... loat#31577

Hope that helps...
Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toys4tj » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:07 pm

Thanks Guys for the info.

Jim, I went to HD tonight & got the adhesive they had, even talked to a guy there about the Henry Brand, (Since they don't carry it anmore) however he couldn't tell me where to get it :(

I am going to test it out... I don't have it in front of me & can't remember the brand name, but depending on when you bought yours, It's probably the same.

Also I am trying my photo link page... hope it works...

my photo link page

If this worked then I will post more to get it up to date.
toys4tj
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jim Marshall » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:53 pm

In my career as a wood worker, we did an awful lot of Formica work and there were times that things didn't go well in placing the HPL in position right. One thing you can do if you stick your aluminum wrong using Formica glue is to fill a squirt bottle with laquer thinner and pull the aluminum back away from the plywood it is stuck to. Squirt the laquer thiner from side to side on the glue while pulling the aluminum away from the glue and the glue will release. You do not have to pull so hard that you bend the aluminum, just a steady pull will be enough. Sometimes it may take a second or two for the thinner to begin to work, but it will work.
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:19 am

Toys, welcome to the board...we are gonna float our skins...should have a full report for ya by the end of this coming week...why float...because we are cheap, lazy bast**** :lol:

on yur picture posting, the url you have shown is for the index page of your gallery...if that is what you want, then the [img] tags are not necessary...if yyou wanted a specific pic then you need to pull up that pic and copy it's url and post it like you did with the ing tags
madjack
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby David Grason » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:18 pm

Jim Marshall wrote:In my career as a wood worker, we did an awful lot of Formica work and there were times that things didn't go well in placing the HPL in position right....

Same here. I've done so much of that kind of work it was just a natural extension to glue the sides to my tear on this way. Mine has just been superb however, I've noticed one thing. On warm days, the aluminum seems to expand a little more than the plywood underneath and it gets wavy. Then when the weather turns cooler, all the waves shrink out. Has anyone else noticed this?
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:04 pm

David, that phenomena is known as "oil canning"........................................................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Thanks!

Postby toys4tj » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:39 pm

HEY, Thanks Guys for all the great info!!

We actually didn't get to glue the sides because it took way longer to cut & trim them out than we planned esp. with a little one... But we were ready on Sunday, then we had several storms come thru, & the rain, hail & cooler weather messed it all up! We are going to try the glue HD now sells, on a small piece & see how that does... then, if all goes well, hopefully this week or weekend we can get it glued.

One other thing that is messing us up is that we can't find a Rubber roller to use on the aluminum after it's glued down... we HAD one, but can't locate it anwhere... can't even remember where we got the thing! LOL!
Any ideas where to buy another one?
We asked @ HD & Lowe's & had no luck... thinking Hobby Lobby of something like that... any suggestions? Oh, & is there a prefered size? I think the one we had was about 4-5".

Thanks Again,
TJ
toys4tj
Teardrop Builder

Henry 663!!!

Postby toys4tj » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:08 pm

FOUND Some today!!! Yippee!!! So I will return the stuff from HD.

So it's still out there, just hard to find.

Thanks Again for the recommendation,
TJ

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=2518
toys4tj
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques