Axle placement

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Axle placement

Postby dardack » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:05 am

I've been playing around with the trailer weight stuff. 10' length, 48" more to tongue (maybe go shorter?). I'm planing on having a 10.7 gal (thin/tall) water tank in rear. Adding all the cooler/food/ice/heater/plywood/etc vs Tongue (battery/propane/tongue box/misclenous items) i'm having a hard time hitting 10% tongue weight. Do I just not weld the axle until very end once I have an accurate weight on rest of trailer (right now I'm estimating based on material/how much used/etc). If i make tongue 36 instead 48 and 40" axle from rear it's right around 10%. IDK i think this is the only thing that gives me pause.
dardack
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Axle placement

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:01 pm

Water tank should be as close to axle centerline as possible, preferably just ahead instead of behind, because it is a variable weight (maybe full, maybe empty). That way it has less impact on the balance at any given fill level. If it is at the front or at the back it has a big impact on balance between full and empty.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Axle placement

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:14 pm

Do I just not weld the axle until very end once I have an accurate weight on rest of trailer ...

I build off the chassis but can't imagine welding an axle on after the cabin is mounted.

Part of what drives the axle placement on a teardrop is door location. And the door needs to be at your hip.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques