Installing fan into teardrop without one

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Installing fan into teardrop without one

Postby CCTider » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:01 pm

I've looked everywhere I could think of, from here to YouTube to Google, but everything I see is related to either a new build or replacing a fan. But I've got a teardrop that does not have an opening for a fan. It has an air conditioner, which is the most important thing where I live. But I like the idea of ventilation and cooling off a little without running a generator.

I have a 2017 New Wave 5x8. I was debating whether I wanted to do this upgrade. The only windows are on the doors, and I honestly like the idea of a cave. So opening the windows on the doors would allow a lot of light inside. I have a DeWalt fan that runs on 20 volt batteries. It works great in a tent. But I was thinking this is definitely the easiest option.

But I do love the idea of a roof vent fan. Problem is, without an opening I'm not certain exactly how difficult this task will be. As a structural inspector, my first instinct is that I would need to install some sort of blocking. Cutting a hole into it will create a weak point in the roof. But at the same time, I'm not sure if floating blocking will do anything except give me something to attach the screws into. It seems like I might need to attach that blocking to the frame somehow. And that's where I'm at loss.

Any tips or advice y'all may have would be greatly appreciated.
CCTider
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Installing fan into teardrop without one

Postby steve cowan » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:56 pm

steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:41 pm

Take a stud sensor across the ceiling to see if someone may have put in blocking.
You never know what may be I'm there. :thinking: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby CCTider » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 pm

steve cowan wrote:This may help.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76079

Thanks for the link. I spent hours trying to find something.
CCTider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CCTider » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:42 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Take a stud sensor across the ceiling to see if someone may have put in blocking.
You never know what may be I'm there. :thinking: Danny

That's a great idea. I'm slapping myself for not thinking about it. But I'm a concrete and rebar guy. It's been years since I've dealt with framing.
CCTider
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques