DIY Round Windows (old ship building technique)

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

DIY Round Windows (old ship building technique)

Postby RBB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:44 pm

My Google-foo is failing me...
:?
I've seen somewhere on here in the past... someone built some really good (and simple) ROUND porthole style windows that open/close from the inside, with a wedge if I recall correctly...
If my memory serves me correctly... the technique was borrowed from old wooden ship building...

Any chance anyone remember what these were called? Perhaps a link?

Thanks in advance!
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Re: DIY Round Windows (old ship building technique)

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:01 pm

Willey windows?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby RBB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:51 pm

KCStudly wrote:Willey windows?

YES! Exactly! I knew they had a name!
Thanks!
:thumbsup: :applause: :beer:
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:09 pm

I have Wiley windows on my TD. From the outside they look oval but the panes are rectangles.

Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TimC » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:52 pm

Yep...

And I made a watertight plug to fit for traveling in the rain.

Very simple design and build. Found here on tnttt!

I'm sure you could build them without a plug if you account for driving in the rain. I didn't think of it until I hit a downpour on a trip and found the weep holes and lip I designed did not match the intense rain volume.

Weep holes... 3/8" filled with epoxy then drilled out with 1/4" to allow drainage. Work well when standing still. Not so much when driving in a downpour.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby RBB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:19 pm

Thanks Tim! I knew I have seen these on here before, and I believe it was even your build that introduced them to me!
I found a bunch of windows at a salvage yard a while back and have them all ready to go for my build... but they are frameless, and only open 1-2inches... I am worried there is not going to be enough airflow with that style window... hence the research into a "plan B."

I see you have a screen insert that you use in yours... guessing up in Niagara you have your share of bugs to contend with! Are you able to use the same wedge both with and without the screen?

I'm also guessing, in your case, you have to have the door open to remove the glass fully?

Finally just a side note, saw (and your TD) on the Playing with sticks channel over the weekend! Really like the shower and power station you have there!
Thanks for sharing!
RBB
Teardrop Builder

Postby TimC » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:45 pm

Hi RBB. My Wiley windows are not the first and not the best I've seen but I'm pretty proud of them.

Yes, the screen frame and glass do work with the wedge in three positions. Fully closed, screen closed with window open and fully open. If I were to build it again I would plan for a larger "trough" and bigger weep holes; though I think I would still use plugs to waterproof it completely.

My screens are slapped together and could use better materials. The frame is just untreated lauan. The screen is fiberglass fly screen hot melt glued to the lauan. They have held up since 2016 so I don't have much incentive to redo them. Never had problems with no-see-ums so far.

I would redo my curtains as well. Right now they don't cover the top of the opening and "sometimes" I like to sleep past sunrise.

And yes, the doors have to be open to remove the glass. I've only had the windows wedged open at night. I've never been anywhere that I needed the glass removed. The ventilation, two 35cfm case fans, move enough air to stay comfortable.

Yeah, I've been impressed with Drew Hansen's YouTube channel for years. Very professionally done. Until I met him I didn't realize what a down to earth family the Hansen's are. I was very nervous the entire time while he was filming. I was sure that he probably wouldn't use that footage. But he really knows how to calm a person down and get good content. He said it typically takes a year to produce and deliver a video. That was right on. My daughter actually saw it first and blasted it all over our family text thing. Man that made me nervous for all the crap I'd be getting. It was hard to watch myself but after seeing it I felt pretty good about it.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques