Stay Away From Plywood?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:30 pm

Hey Ol Timer.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I prefer the marine ply also, mostly for the sides...in Okume...put some dye on it and epoxy, looks great!!! and the no voids, thinner veneers makes it rout like "buttah" another big plus is that they don't move as much marine grade ply like they do exterior grade, so it is typically more stable and has had more curing time on the veneers...some of the typical big box ply has higher moisture content...marine stuff is usually way dry..and that is the only way they can be certified "marine" Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Gage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:41 am

An Ol Timer wrote:Because of experience in boatbuilding I continue to use Marine plywood, not the usual stuff, but certified BS1088 Meranti. The 1/4" has 7 plies, the 3/8" 9 plies and the 1/2" 11 plies. I don't have any interior voids to deal with and therefore no voids on any edges. Edges rout like regular hardwood with no splintering. Fasteners also work like they do in regular wood. I actually only paid about 10% more for my last batch (30 sheets) than what they charge for plywood of the same size at the big stores. I see a lot of people talking about putting a lot of money into other parts of their Tears, why then scrimp on the basic structure.

:applause: :thumbsup: I've said it before and I'll say it again. To build a cheap teardrop that will last. You buy the best at the cheapest price. Example: My 4'x10'x3/4" birch sides cost $123.00 each. and were about 12 ply. I was paying $45.00 a sheet at Lowe's for 4'x8'x1/8" birch until they changed suppliers. Then I went to the local lumber store that specialized in wood and wood products and bought all my remaining wood needs as I needed it. Have pride in the end product and to do that you must have pride in the building process. Even if it cost a little more. Take pride in your build. Don't just slam it together with what you can get just to get it finished next month.

Have a good day.

8)
I might add that I have never built a teardrop before and I didn't use any plans. I am a retired aerospace engineer, not a cabinet maker. It's just a matter of pride and common sense.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:04 am

Woodbutcher wrote:I won't knowingly buy import plywood or cars. Some things are just better," Made in the USA"! Sorry for the Rant!

Yeah like that:

Honda Accord Made in Ohio
Toyota Tundra Will be made in San Antonio
BMW 3-series Made in South Carolina
Mercedes M-Class also made in South Carolina

Nowadays, making the generalization that import cars are made overseas is inaccurate. They make cars where ever thay can make it cheaper. My Civic was made in Canada, our New Beetle was made in Mexico. Who knows when all the auto manufacturers start building their cars in China. A lot of the parts you buy at the parts store are already made there.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:35 am

My Nissan truck and the 87 Nissan truck I had before were both manufactured in Smyrna, TN. And, every domestic auto manufacturer is in business with a foreign company as a partner. My 1990 Ford Taurus had a Mazda engine and running gear. I doubt you can buy any domestic auto or truck today that doesn't have "import" parts in it, including the engines and transmissions. It is getting harder and harder to buy 100% "domestic", as much as I would like to.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:18 am

I'm sure you can buy any ply that you want . Not being an engineer , cabinet maker or prophet , I did the best I could at the time ...Now I have to deal with it ...It'd be better to come up with ideas to HELP dummies like me rather than brag about how smart your purchases were...
You must remember this TD is being built for Hurricane evacuation .. not to compare quality at a camp-in ... Therefore it will be kept securely in a shed , mantained , and hopefully NOT used for it's intended purpose...
Since I will be obviously building other TD's , these lessons will be learned... for now it's too late ....
After consulting Professional builders , I will finish this project with what I have .... I'm an old retired guy that can't afford to scrap all that time and money(76 days left ) , and allthough I understand completely the need for quality materials, Ths project must be finished ....and in a timely manner .... if It gets me through Hurricane season without having to go through what I did last time , then I'll burn the (your word here)ing' thing and start over with some good stuff ... OK !!!!??? :x
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:30 am

GPW, I'm with you on working with what you bought. My ply obvisously isn't the best, but I'll do what I have to in order to fill the grain, seal it, and make it work. I have more time than money, and I'm retired too, so I don't have to worry about finding the time to work on it. Where are you located to worry about hurricanes? Lately, that can be just about anywhere in the SE area.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:28 am

GPW wrote:I'm sure you can buy any ply that you want . Not being an engineer , cabinet maker or prophet , I did the best I could at the time ...Now I have to deal with it ...It'd be better to come up with ideas to HELP dummies like me rather than brag about how smart your purchases were...
You must remember this TD is being built for Hurricane evacuation .. not to compare quality at a camp-in ... Therefore it will be kept securely in a shed , mantained , and hopefully NOT used for it's intended purpose...
Since I will be obviously building other TD's , these lessons will be learned... for now it's too late ....
After consulting Professional builders , I will finish this project with what I have .... I'm an old retired guy that can't afford to scrap all that time and money(76 days left ) , and allthough I understand completely the need for quality materials, Ths project must be finished ....and in a timely manner .... if It gets me through Hurricane season without having to go through what I did last time , then I'll burn the (your word here)ing' thing and start over with some good stuff ... OK !!!!??? :x

Well hell, if that's all you wanted it for, you should have gone out and spent your money more wisely and bought a small used travel trailer. I'm sure you could have found one for just a few hundred dollars.

With that, have a good day.

8)
And by the way, I'm on a fix'd income also. One of the reasons it took me 2 1/2 years to build mine. I just made sure I wasn't going to have to do it again.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby SpeedWagon » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:48 am

Hello
If you can find a small local lumber yard, that has or can get you the plywood you want, support them, buy your plywood from them, and the rest of your supplies, support the local business man. Turn your back on the big box stores, support the store that gives you the product and service you want, but hurry up they may already have plans to close.
And with it the American way. :(
(Sorry I had to Vent)
Dave
SpeedWagon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:14 pm

asianflava wrote:
Woodbutcher wrote:I won't knowingly buy import plywood or cars. Some things are just better," Made in the USA"! Sorry for the Rant!

Yeah like that:

Honda Accord Made in Ohio
Toyota Tundra Will be made in San Antonio
BMW 3-series Made in South Carolina
Mercedes M-Class also made in South Carolina

Nowadays, making the generalization that import cars are made overseas is inaccurate. They make cars where ever thay can make it cheaper. My Civic was made in Canada, our New Beetle was made in Mexico. Who knows when all the auto manufacturers start building their cars in China. A lot of the parts you buy at the parts store are already made there.

While the line blurs on what country of origin a car is from, there is no doubt what country the profits end up in. We are becoming a service only country. If assembleing parts that were shipped here from somewhere else some how makes that a car built in America so be it. Ford has $2000.00 per car in up front cost before anything is started to cover the costs of it's retired work force's health and benefits. Thats a big disadvantage against Toyota ect. I wonder how well they will take care of their retiries when the assemblers in San Antonio retire.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:52 pm

I'd say that most of those Ford retired workers being supported were with Ford back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, where there was a retirement program. I dont' know abot Ford, but most companies, including the one I worked for for 27 years, froze the retirement plan back in the 80s and from then on, retirement was your 401K which the company contributed to. I think most companies today have similar "retirement" programs. So, I wouldn't look for Toyota or any other auto maker to have to take care of any workers that retire now.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:08 am

Guys , living in New Orleans . limits ones selection of exotic ply ...HD is one of the few places up and running ....my fav lumber yards (where I have accounts , remember I also make guitars..) got flooded and blown away ... if it werent for the HD and the Wal Mart , the 25% of the people that came back , would have no place to shop .... it was pretty bad here , and still is , Thanks George!!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:30 am

GPW,
I feel for ya. I've been there after it happened. Not a pretty site. And I hear it hasn't improved much. Go with what ya got and get that escape mobile finished. Only 2 months until the season starts again.
BTW I grew up there. I went to JFK, First job was a lifeguard at the Canal St beach. I'd still be living there as I loved the town, but didn't want to spend the rest of my life working in the shipyards. Good luck on the build.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:23 am

it was either this or spend the ole' ladys retirement money on a house somewhere else, where we don't know anybody , and the food is not nearly as good ...
let's see now ...????
$200,000 or $2,000.... which do you think she went for ???
As far as she's concerned, TDs are the "most logical alternative" , and she can actually retire in the future....something she looks forward to now that she can afford it , and has an old fool around to transport her "self" outta' town in a TD for the recurrent storms....

I myself would like to do a little camping and fishing , and I can bring my planes and have a place to stay at the meets ...

Now for those who have been foolish (or otherwise ) to purchase Chi-Ply.... Why don't you EXPERTS be so kind as to tell us how to save ourselves and our purchases...... I KNOW the poly/thinner trick works , any other ideas ...What if you cover the whole thing with aluminum , what about Fiberglass, or even old school canvas ???

I'm sure you guys that know where to obtain a couple hundred dollar travel trailer , and a 50 cent hamburger, would be glad to be Helpfull...

:roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby weasel » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:13 am

After startin' my project I've learned to look closer at what is bought. But cost is like my pay check the bottom line :lol: Payed $24 a sheet for cabinet grade 3/4 at HD. Looks good and straight, touch up a place or two and the paint will take care of the rest. Theres no way I'm gonna spend extra $$ just to say its first class. Like a old home builder told me one time. '' Trim and putty makes it pretty'' :lol: And if you gonna spend 3k or more to build might as well buy one.
weasel
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:58 pm

GPW wrote:<snip>
Now for those who have been foolish (or otherwise ) to purchase Chi-Ply.... Why don't you EXPERTS be so kind as to tell us how to save ourselves and our purchases...... I KNOW the poly/thinner trick works , any other ideas ...What if you cover the whole thing with aluminum , what about Fiberglass, or even old school canvas ???
I'm sure you guys that know where to obtain a couple hundred dollar travel trailer , and a 50 cent hamburger, would be glad to be Helpfull...
:roll:

Sounds good to me. Go for it. Just trying to be helpful. Build it like your building a large RC, and it should work. You are the only one who knows what your capabilities are and what you have to work with.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques