My Hinge Idea

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:18 pm

Rainjer,

Since this thread is alive again, can you report back and tell us how that rubber covered hinge worked?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Stevebaz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:00 pm

Mounting a door on a hinge with rubber under will likely leave you with a forever loose door. You tighten up the screws and squeeze out the rubber then the door goes loose. The rubber degrades and the door goes loose, the vibration on the door because of the rubber under the hinge loosens the screws. The rubber breaks up and the door goes loose. The cycle of constantly tightening screws strips out the screw holes. From my perspective this method is a looser.
Stevebaz
Teardrop Inspector

Re:

Postby ewdove » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:06 pm

rainjer wrote:Thanks for all of the feedback. Believe it or not, I had a dream about that design.

To address a few you your guy's concerns:

First let me say that in no way was that drawn to scale. I did it in 5 min. in MS paint. I need to do some refining.

2) That actually is the proper way to attach a piano hinge. Take a look at piano some time. That is structuraly stronger than laying it flat.

3) I plan on using a hardwood rib on both the roof & hatch where the hinge attaches. The white is FRP panel.

4) Ther caulk was more to devert water when it is closed. I may put caulk between the rubber & the spar/roof & no bead to top.

5) I know of some rubber products used in roofing I was going to play with. They resist UV damage.

I do not see me using my trailer more than 5-6 times a year. Mostly in the spring & fall. When it is not in use it will be tarped. I figure the rubber may need to replace ever couple of years. (if I don't build a bigger one.) :twisted:

Keep the comments coming, my may just talk me into a Hurracane Hinge.... :thinking:

I am using a piano hinge since the vertical planes are not parallel to the top surface, which is curved, and ruled out the typical hurricane hinge. To weatherproof the hinge I am planning to use a strip of 3/32" silicone purchased from Rubber Sheet Roll. The particular silicone sheet is UV-resistant and highly elastic. I will secure the forward and trailing edges with aluminum strips screwed through the silicone into the trailer roof/hatch.

Emmitt Dove

http://www.emmittsteardropadventures.net
ewdove
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques