MODERN TD...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:47 am

Jag , My interest in modern TD's just increased exponentially ...

Can anyone find fault with the back door TD setup ??? (see sketch ) as far as practicality is concerned ... I still wonder about that hatch / hinge thing ....and why it was so popular ... other than being CUTE :)
I'm really considering building my second TD as per the sketch .... with the right paint job it can be just as CUTE....Yes ,No??? Sorta Buck Rogers , eh ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:55 pm

Here's an idea .... a TD built like a boat ...only inverted .... That ought to be light???? http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=7632

:thinking: :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:06 am

GPW wrote:Here's an idea .... a TD built like a boat ...only inverted .... That ought to be light????

You want what? To build a teardrop which requires twisted doors? Do you want them to fit?

Andrew :thinking:
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:12 am

Good Point , well taken !!!! We could modify the design slightly to present a flat surface in the door area, but this stuff's theoretical anyway ....I'm just exploring the possibilities of a streamlined camping unit that could be constructed by someone with the skilled building talents you guys posess ... ... on the other hand , car doors fit, eh ???Possible ??? :roll:

what's in a paint job ???Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:57 am

The plane to base your trailer on would be the Shorts Skyvan - variously know in Brtiain as the "Flying Shoebox", "Flying Skip" and a "National Express* with a wing on top":

It avoids all that tricky, annoying curved metal......

Andrew

*British equivalent of a Greyhound

On edit: Apparently NASA have one of these - the "Ugly Looker"!
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby rampage » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:21 pm

GPW,
I saw a production TD with the rear door entry just like you describe. An RV place was having a blowout sale in a bank parking lot and had the TD out front.
I went home to get my camera to take a pic for you but when I got back they had it sandwiched between two giant RV's. I couldnt get a decent pic.
I have to tell ya. It was pretty cool.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby Derek » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:38 pm

GPW,
I really like some of your ideas, I built a TD last year and really like it but I would like to build another one but it would have to be unique. I always thought it would be cool to make one shaped similar to an older airplane design or 50s to 60s rocket styling. I just like unique things.

Derek
Derek
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:56 pm

Angib... and plenty of room for adverts on the sides ,one might think ....Wasn't that a standard Irish airline craft for a very long time ???Very cool !!!
Rampage ... Thanks for the effort , I'll take your word for it ... Seems like a good idea doesn't it ???????
Derek .... always loved those old Flash Gordon serials ... and as you can see they do have a considerable influence on my designs ..hahahahaha. You should see my planes .... hahahaha

These TD designs all seem to be a compromise between space ,aesthetics , ergonomics and buildability' ... I'll bet one of those Detroit design teams could come up with a beauty ... !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Noob » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:19 pm

GPW wrote:Image

:thumbsup: Not, to bad...

I kinda, like this one too.

:D

Marty.
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:58 pm

GPW
I'm going to have to stop working so much and hang out on the forum more. I can't believe that I missed this thread.

I like the design you've got. Add a hardsided hatch on the back for standup room and an inside galley like Mike's Winter Warrior and it would be really cool. Having an inside galley is so much better than and easyup when it rains.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:34 am

Gary , having been working on the BIG ONE... 12'x6', I 've had a chance to dream about modifications , or "things I could have done better "....The back door /hatch thingie merely saves all that frustration with Hurricane hinges /leaking / hold ups...a door is most reasonable and protected from all water ...with the little overhang ... Plus you get a ton more storage space ...The inside galley is really smart (as some of the old timers found out ) and easily possible , especially with the larger size TD's like mine ...I really like Mikes' inside arrangement , quiet , peacefull , sorta ' like Church !!! and his looks HUGE inside ... How does he do it ???

Best of all , we can still keep that TD look with a little creative paint work on the outside ...
I'll definitely be starting another soon , and it will be in the new manner... smaller but innovations to enhance the space /convenience aspects , and it will be alot easier to build , and did I mention CHEAPER too ....I know nobody here has "endless bucks , or we'd be all drivin ' Winnies ...so I consider the pricing important ...to me anyway .... the Fun per Buck Ratio ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:35 am

GPW
I think that the hurricane hinge came off of the back of truck campers and are not ment to have water come in on both sides. they work when the hatch is closed but open they get water in to the wrong side. I fixed that problem with the Warrior by putting a 3/4 inch angle on the front side and it seems to work fine. He went trough a couple of 2 inch and hour rains with no major leaks sofar. The only place I have a problem is at the sides of the hatch where I get a leak if the wind comes in from the right direction and then it has to be a hard wind.

I agree though that a swing open door fix the whole problem quite nicely.
GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:00 am

Gary , I hear ya' !!!! I know the retro TD shape is really cool , but practical only if built as a retro type reproduction and allowances made for the design faults ...The real inportant part is the front , for streamlining ... the TD shapes are wonderfull there . the rear can be so much bigger/simpler , and as I've ranted on about , the paint job can make ALL the difference ...Lets face it , you can put a cool paint job on a toaster and have it look GOOD !!!!!hahahahahahahahaha
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques