Help--I'm miter challenged.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby kirtsjc » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:59 pm

Ira wrote:It's for scalloped trim around the cabinet openings, so yeah--I thought I should miter.

Someone may have already suggested this, but here goes:

Take some of your trim to a picture frame shop and ask them to make you a 1 foot by 1 foot frame. Let THEM go nuts determining how to make it look good. However, ask them to just tape the frame on both sides, not any type of permanent fastening....

Bring it home, use the other fine suggestions here, and match the picture frame pattern for your particular molding. Thus, you have a template (Shades of S. Frederick and his jigs!) to use in layout before you cut...
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:15 am

Ira, I would think that your scrolled molding was equal when you bought it. Meaning if you made a mark in the center and measured half of what you need on both ends the curves would match up at a miter. For someone who is miter challenged you picked a very difficult molding. I would think that it would not match up at all 4 corners unless it was a perfect square with all pieces the same length (trimming from center) or you got lucky with another combination. Can you find another molding that is straight that you could butt the scrolled molding into it? The straight molding should be a little thicker maybe by 1/4" so you don't have other issues to deal with. Danny :D
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Ira » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:52 pm

halfdome wrote:Can you find another molding that is straight that you could butt the scrolled molding into it? The straight molding should be a little thicker maybe by 1/4" so you don't have other issues to deal with. Danny :D [/b][/color]

Bingo. I'll be posting photos later, but:

I really don't need to use this squirly trim around these openings at all, especially since the edges of the curtains will be hiding it 99% of the time anyway.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby DestinDave » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:17 pm

Ira... I've looked at your scalloped molding over and over again and I may have a suggestion for you. First, I see the scalloped edge has 1 high "point" followed by two "humps" and then another "point". If you would, give me a measurement from "point" to "point". Also give me the width of the board from flat edge to the point. And finally, give me the measurements of the cabinet face you want to trim - height and length. Just from looking at your picture it appears that you might be able to make all corners match up with a little tweaking.

Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques