I hate to even ask this????

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby kirtsjc » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:10 pm

Gage wrote:
kirtsjc wrote: <snip>
(Disclaimer:Acceptance of, or transmission of civilities subject to mal-interpretation, mis-interpretation, dis-interpretation, and other such interpretations by either :P party, parties :P :P , or friends of the party/parties :shake hands: in question, with random acts of kindness :R being practiced or non-, mis- or mal-practiced or just practiced, hey nonnie, in fee simple, ipso facto, emoticons nonewithstanding, withstanding or just simply standing... I think? :scratchthinking: .)

[b][i][color=darkblue]Now I'm really confused. :? When did you say you were headed back to the farm? :lol:
:thinking:

Uh... i HAVE been back on the farm as of late - THEY just keep coming after me when i LEAVE the farm...

WHOO HOO Here they come again!!!
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:51 pm

owenmpk wrote:The SoCal Teardrop hinge looks very interesting and clean as a door hinge but my concern is that over time it would want to drop. They look like very good quality trailers so I would think this is not a problem.

Hope to get a good look at it next Saturday. Maybe you could replace the rubber end piece with a hardwood piece of the same shape. I'm thinking simple.

Have a good day.

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Darren » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:28 pm

dacrazyrn wrote:This...
looks like the same as this to me...
but what do I know.
Didn't see SoCal's mention weight. Just trying to give out the options incase is all, cuz I had seen it before.

It looks to me that the 2 hinges operate 180 degree from each other, look at the gear pattern. This image shows how the framing is setup for the Mcmaster hinge.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby s4son » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:36 am

So now I'm confused ( no jokes please, it will only confuse me more). Can these type hinges be used in the vetical position? They would really make for a clean looking door installation.

Scott F. :?

By the way, I'm a city boy but I've been to the farm a time or two (or three or four or ..........)
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:06 pm

Scott, I think the hinge that the SoCal guys are using is purpose built specifically for them and as such the McMaster-Carr info doesn't apply...for more specific info on it and it's applications you should contact them directly, especially since no one here (that I am aware of) has actually used one in their build
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jje507 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:18 pm

jje507
Silver Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:36 pm

jje507 wrote:Just wanted to throw another cat into the confusion! :lol:
http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/showLine.asp?GroupID=8217&Path=::4939::3463::8217
Jeff

Wow Thanks man,, They are located just down the street, never knew they were there!!!
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:09 pm

Well after all the comments on this thread on decided to call So-Cal today. I talked with Mike and he was very helpful. The same hinge can be used for both hatch and doors. You just cut each leg of the hinge to your wall/door thickness. Sagging of the doors has not been a problem. This seems to be the cleanest looking hinge to me and the fact that it is installed like a Butt hinge appeals to me. So that said, I am going to use this hinge in my build. So I guess I will be one of the first Guinea Pigs on the board.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mbader » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:24 pm

And here is the place that makes them:
http://www.hagerhinge.com/catalog/default.asp?c=25
Malcolm
mbader
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gage » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:59 pm

s4son wrote:So now I'm confused ( no jokes please, it will only confuse me more). Can these type hinges be used in the vetical position? They would really make for a clean looking door installation.
Scott F. :?
By the way, I'm a city boy but I've been to the farm a time or two (or three or four or ..........)

Say Scott, I'll let you know next year. ;) I plan on using that hinge on my doors and hatch. What I plan on doing about the door hinges is to replace the rubber bushing/plug with a hardwood plug that would act as a stop for downward movement. BUT, that's what I've come up with by just looking at the pictures. Haven't seen an actual one yet. So that plan may change.

Have a good day.

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby angib » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:43 am

mbader wrote:And here is the place that makes them:
http://www.hagerhinge.com/catalog/default.asp?c=25

Very useful link - it answers the question that's been plaguing me - why doesn't the door leaf just slide out of the frame leaf when the door's open?

It turns out there are bearings, spaced at 3"-10" centres depending of the hinge duty, along the hinge. I'm guessing at these locations the 'gears' of both leaves are cut away and a bearing block inserted before the hinge cover is slid on. This means the two leaves cannot slide along each other.
Is that clear? I will be asking questions at the end..... :question:

Andrew :pipe:
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby kirtsjc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:54 am

angib wrote: - it answers the question that's been plaguing me - why doesn't the door leaf just slide out of the frame leaf when the door's open?

It turns out there are bearings, spaced at 3"-10" centres depending of the hinge duty, along the hinge. I'm guessing at these locations the 'gears' of both leaves are cut away and a bearing block inserted before the hinge cover is slid on. This means the two leaves cannot slide along each other.
Is that clear? I will be asking questions at the end. Andrew

Thank you Angib/Andrew for digging into and finding this crucial information. I can see where SoCal, limiting their production to a hatch hinge would/might have problems with vertical. But Hagerhinge is designed for vertical 1 3/4" thick doors (which can be very heavy), and thus we just might be able to get SoCal to carry a line of vertical hinges now too!!!! (Hint Hint to SoCal) Thus, everybody that wants a cool/kewl geared hinge can win, and SoCal can win by being a specialized distributor!

:scratchthinking:
"I won!, No He won, No, I won..... Stop talking to yourself, No, I'm arguing with myself, No, it is talking to yourself, No, time to take my meds again!"
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby dglenn1960 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:13 pm

I have a Roton hinge on my back French doors (for the past 20+ years) and have not seen any sagging or other issues. It's a very high quality piece, though with our door you can see the bearing placements every 10" or so when the door is fully open.

~dave
dglenn1960
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques