Random orbital sanders

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Kevin A » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:05 pm

Gage wrote:
Bandit wrote:<snip>
It is amazing all the labor and time saving power tools that we have access to.
Can you imagine setting all your screws with a screw driver?
Or leveling all your edges with a hand planer instead of a router and trim bit?
How long do you think it would take to build a TD with all manual tools?<snip>
:thinking:

It'll take at least 2 1/2 years doing it with those vintage tools that I could only afford and no plans. And if I might say so. I don't think I did that bad of a job.

Oh, here's the tools that I used.

Have a good day.
:thinking:
By the way, how is your tear coming?

Gage,
I've been wondering where my jig saw & belt sander went, you can send them home anytime. :lol: :lol: ;)
Actually I have the same skil tools, here in the garage.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby asianflava » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:50 pm

rainjer wrote:
Since I don't know how to use a router and trim bit the way you are saying, I have been using a hand plane to smooth out a lot of boards.

The router is one of the most misunderstood tool & the most versatile tools you can have. I happened to own 4. I have three 1/4" & one 1/2" shank. I have one mounted in permanently mounted in a router table.

I never really used a router (except for flush trimming laminate) before this project, now I have 2 and I want another. I was borrowing a friend's at first, then I got a cheapy one from Depot. After finally getting the depth setup on the dovetail jig, I decided that I will dedicate that router strictly for that job and buy a nice one. I bought a Bosch with variable speed. With the speed turned down, it is much easier to use than the other two. I want another one dedicated to the router table.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:47 pm

Sorry Rocky...you're hooked...I find the router to be an incredible tool, probably use it as much as the table saw....and there are tons of jigs for them out there on the market...I've got 4...3 1.25hp...and 1 3.5hp...but 1 is a beater that if someone wants to borrow one...they get that one....and if you haven't found it out yet...carbide bits beat high speed steel hands down...... :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:57 pm

...carbide bits beat high speed steel hands down...... Doug

and quality bits beat cheap bits hands down.....
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby asianflava » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:59 pm

:oops: Yeah I guess you can say I am. Especially when I watch those Router guys on TV. I think they could build a house with just a router.

Oh yeah back on topic, in addition to the variable speed router, I got a variable speed orbital sander. Makes life much easier too. How did I get by with variable speed tools?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby rainjer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:07 am

I own 2 random orbital sanders. One 4.5" Ryobi & one 5" Porter Cable. I have had the Ryobi 12 years & have replaced the velcro pad twice. I like it better than the Porter Cable.

I also "had" to stop on the way home & pick up a belt sander on the way home tonight. HF had them on sale for $29.99 on t he web. I took the print-out to the store & it rang up at $26.99. I dont mind buying a cheap belt sander, I will hardly use it after I finish the teardrop.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:16 am

Makes good sense!!!!! No sense spending good money on a tool you plan for short term use. Too many people don't get that! Harbor Freight is a great place to pick up that kind of tool. If you want tools to last a lot of years, go elsewhere.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby rainjer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:25 am

I would say I have 75% quality tools & 25% HF tools.

I have several Senco nail & staple guns that are more than 20 years old & still working. I also have a HD $19.99 brad nailer that I had to it repair within a year of purchasing.

There are just thing you can not beat HF for their prices. Fro example clamp & sandpaper disks.

I would have to say HF drill bits are junk. & have broke 7-8 out of the set I bought.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:04 am

Rainjer...I just attended the Woodworking Show here in Sacramento....and I found that I can buy 3/8 straight cut carbide router bits cheaper than I can get a good one sharpened...we'll see how it works out..bought a handful...5$ ea....they are becoming throw away's too....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:18 am

I found that I can buy 3/8 straight cut carbide router bits cheaper than I can get a good one sharpened

I have several 1/4", 2 flute carbide end mllls I use in my router all the time. I have one tha has a 2" length of cut. I build a fence on my router table that I can adjust the out-feed side & use my router as a edge jointer for wood up to 1 3/4".

Also remember that al carbide is not the same grade. A lot of the HF carbide is REALLY bad.

I bought some HF carbide ruoter bits & they sucked. One of them was dull after making about 8' of 1/2" rounded edges on a project I was working on. I ran to Lowes & picked up a $30 Porter Cable bit & finished the other 80' & it is still sharp today.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:59 am

You're right...on a profile bit, I always get the better ones, unless it is going to be a one shot deal...and when using something like the Incra jig...always use a good one, where exact diameter is critical...for a lot of.. "it doesn't matter work" cheapies, that I may touch up with a diamond tool for just cutting out material in a hurry, where exact dimension doesn't matter....for edging...I've got the jointer....just what I do....doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rampage » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:07 pm

Can you guys recommend a good first router for me? I'll be using it on my td project but will probably get into more projects as well. Thanks
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:31 pm

First off, I would not go cheap on a router. You will end up buying a good one later.

I would look at one like this:

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2816

It will take 1/4" & 1/2" collets. It had a fixed & plunge base. You can someimes find them with the D-handle base included.

If I was to replace the one's I have, this is what I would get.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby asianflava » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:45 pm

I'd recommend looking for one with variable speed for a couple reasons.
1. It is usually the better quality units that have it
2. It will be easier to handle when you start to use it.
3. It is more versitile, you'll be able to spin a wider selection of bits (larger ones) later on.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chris C » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:06 pm

Personally, I like Porter Cable.............but what brand name is up to the user. I've got 5 routers and need more. I've got them all the way from a laminate trimmer all the way up to the 3 1/4 hp Speedmatic. Like I said, I could use one or two more. They are one of the single most important tool in the shop..........after a table saw..........or jointer............or planer.........or bandsaw..........or mortising table...........or............... :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques