Locking hinge?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Locking hinge?

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:09 am

I am trying to identify a part. I though it would be great for a simple pop-up hinge on something like Andrews Compact. I have seen the hinge I am thinking about in luggage, briefcases, and a few other places.
Let's take a briefcase for example. You open the top and you have those two metal hinges, long bars attched in the middle and you can click them in to place to get them to stay up. Does anyone know what I am talking about? There must be a large version of this type of hinge. If so, it would be perfect for a simple pop-up.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:39 am

Mike had those on the cubby to latch the hatch down, the hinge pulls the hatch down as it latchs into place, also had a hasp for a lock.

Chip had some on the old pop-up that he's using, so should be able to buy them at a camper place.

Mike, Chip you know what these are called?

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:44 am

I found a picture I got a while back on a manufacturers site. I think it is called a locking knife hinge. I have not found a place that sells big ones or one that sells to end users. One of those X type hinges would work to , like you see on actual pop-up tent trailers:

Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:07 pm

if you google for images of locking hinges, you'll probably find one at a manufacturer.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby tom » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:40 pm

Go to Woodworker.com...look for "lid supports"..I'm looking in their catalog now and they have a number of lid supports that fit the configuration you posted..dont know if they are big enough for a different application..but did notice something I might use for something else....a folding self support..support unlocks and shelf can fold against wall...on a different note...was hoping you were going to get that dually..I had a Ford one ton dually back in the early 90's..built my own bed out of oak..no plans but have a pic somewhere that I was going to post so you could see what could be done..anyway...bronco looks great..nice collector's item.
tom
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:53 pm

Thanks, that is pretty close. Gives me some ideas of things to look for.
Shrug53
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques