Tire Pressures and looking for materials (plywood)

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Tire Pressures and looking for materials (plywood)

Postby DanD » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:47 pm

Hello All...

As a new Teardrop builder, I have been proceeding slowly, trying to follow the Kuffel Creek plans for a Cubby. I bought a 1800# Harbor Freight Trailer, got it assembled, decided to paint it as the red was just not for me. I decided to remove the plate off the tongue so I could paint behind it. Does anybody elses trailer have these outrageous tire pressures listed? 120 pounds? sound like a accident waiting to happen. The trailer came with 5.30 x 12 tires and tire pressures are listed as 80 pounds max cold.

I have the trailer decked and have not been able to locate 3/8" AC plywood in this area. Been to five different lumber yards. Everyone has BC but I plan on putting aluminum over it. BC is a little rough. Does anyone have a recommendation as an alternative?

I cant seem to find 1/8" luan either. Funny story about that. Went into Home Depot and one of their 'experts' told me that Luan was an endangered species and they will not carry it any more. :lol:
Went back the next day and 1/4" was back on the racks.....

Since I am south of Atlanta, I will get the phone book out and look for lumber yards further north.

Anybody in the Atlanta area building a tear?
DanD
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:12 pm

Dan,

120 PSI does sound really high. Once you start towing your teardrop you'll probably adjust the tires so that it doesn't bounce as much.

As for luan, some speciality plywood shops have it in 1/8" thickness. The Home Depots and Lowes won't carry it, because it's not a high volume item.

Regarding your 3/8" plywood, BC is plenty good. You'll be floating the aluminum any ways.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby denverd0n » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:11 pm

I used to trailer a 23' sailboat on a single-axle trailer. Fully-loaded weight of boat and trailer was over 4,000 lbs. The tires on that were rated for something like 2,700 lbs. each at a maximum inflation of 125 psi. So, very heavy trailers with single axles need very highly rated tires, which calls for very high inflation pressures.

I eventually rebuilt the trailer, put on tandem axles, and "normal" tires with inflations in the range of 35-40 psi.
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Clancy Courtney » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:03 am

DanD,
Try:
Atlanta Hardwood
5596 Riverview Road
Mableton, GA 30126
800 476-5393
(ph) 404 792-2290
(fax) 404 792-2294
[email protected]
I know they carry 1/8" plywoods.

Also check with:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/nsearch.php?s=plywood
They have a location in Peachtree City,GA
I think they have an Okume 4'x8'x5/32" and other plywoods.
Good luck, Clancy
Clancy Courtney
Donating Member

Re: Tire Pressures and looking for materials (plywood)

Postby Larwyn » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:17 pm

DanD wrote:Hello All...

As a new Teardrop builder, I have been proceeding slowly, trying to follow the Kuffel Creek plans for a Cubby. I bought a 1800# Harbor Freight Trailer, got it assembled, decided to paint it as the red was just not for me. I decided to remove the plate off the tongue so I could paint behind it. Does anybody elses trailer have these outrageous tire pressures listed? 120 pounds? sound like a accident waiting to happen. The trailer came with 5.30 x 12 tires and tire pressures are listed as 80 pounds max cold.

I have the trailer decked and have not been able to locate 3/8" AC plywood in this area. Been to five different lumber yards. Everyone has BC but I plan on putting aluminum over it. BC is a little rough. Does anyone have a recommendation as an alternative?

I cant seem to find 1/8" luan either. Funny story about that. Went into Home Depot and one of their 'experts' told me that Luan was an endangered species and they will not carry it any more. :lol:
Went back the next day and 1/4" was back on the racks.....

Since I am south of Atlanta, I will get the phone book out and look for lumber yards further north.

Anybody in the Atlanta area building a tear?

I removed the same plate from my HF trailer. Started not to put it back on after painting as the "information" on it is mostly fantasy.

Just try putting 120 lbs of air in a 12 inch tire "mounted" (placed around?)
a 8 inch rim. :D

Seriously, you should ruin the 12 inch tires at or very near the maximum printed on the side of the tire. These small tires make a lot of revolutions in a mile and that can generate a lot of heat, if the air pressure is low even more heat is generated and that can and probably will destroy the tire. I plan to run the 12's on mine, just keep the air pressure up and the bearings well greased.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby DanD » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:02 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Regarding your 3/8" plywood, BC is plenty good. You'll be floating the aluminum any ways.

Mike...

Thanks Mike,

I scouted around Home Depot and found some 3/8 that was clear on one side and knots on the other. I finished decking on the trailer and plan on starting the sides tomorrow.
DanD
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Arne » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:10 pm

I've wondered about an id plate on the h/f trailer.... Usually, we need a vin number to register anything in CT.... but I can't find one.

So, has anyone had a problem registering an h/f trailer without the vin?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques