handy tip for door fit-up

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

handy tip for door fit-up

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:48 pm

Remember how careful you were in cutting out your doors, only the width of the jig saw blade? you've trimmed off some of the hinge side, if using an inset hinge, hung the door and it hits in several places, but hard to tell where...I did this on my first one but thought others might like this tip....get a sheet of carbon paper...fold it in 1/2 and run it along the edge of the door while opening and shutting it...all the black marks are where it hits...of course this doesn't apply for a lot of applications, but does on a Woody with a framed door...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:35 pm

That's a pretty good trick. I'll have to file that in the back of my beady little brain under 'useful ideas for future use'. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon May 01, 2006 2:37 am

You can still buy carbon paper? :?

Actually my doors are on the agenda for tonight. I'm taking a break for the moment.

I need to cut them down 1/8" so that the aluminum trim can fit in the gap. Then I want to rabit the edge of the door for the T-molding. I didn't want a huge gap so I figured I'd just sink the molding on one side.

I'm just gonna run 2 sides of the door thru the jointer cause they are straight, trim the down forst then rabit them.

The curved part on top had me stumped. I was gonna use a rabiting bit on the router but there wasn't enough thickness for the bearing to ride on. Then :lightbulb: clamp a piece of wood on that side, run a pattern bit down it THEN run the rabiting bit thru. I'll save that for tomorrow.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Leon » Mon May 01, 2006 4:19 am

I made a template out of masonite, then used the router with an 1/8" bit to cut the door. Made several passes cutting a little deeper each time, no splitting or rough edges of the wood.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques