Floor construction?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby EZ » Tue May 23, 2006 8:21 am

Bruce,

Check out the link below to my web page. If you scroll down you can see pictures of the floor in a couple of different stages.

http://www.edzech.com/EZ%20Teardrop%20Camper_files/EZ%20Teardrop%20Camper.htm

My construction was pretty much the same as anyone except I haven't seen a lot of folks build all the way outside the wheels. Hope the reason for that is asthetic. My camper is not as traditional as some because it is wide, has no galley and has bunks.

There should be gobs of posts to search on (try 'floor and insulation'), and the conclusion it seemed to me was leave the foam insulation exposed without a "bottom" so that you don't create a space for moisture to collect. I also painted the underside of my floor as opposed to using some kind of tar substance which I think will be fine but I am also trying to build cheap and fast or I would have used epoxy which is probably overkill too.

Do what feels good to you. Once the 2 X frame gets glued/screwed to a 1/2" sheet of plywood and them bolted to the trailer it is pretty damn solid. I would have used 2 X 2s instead of 3s but I needed to raise the floor above the wheels.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby riverfront » Tue May 23, 2006 6:18 pm

Thanks! This was great help!

I can't see by your pics, if the axle is above or below the springs?

Like your helper but mine are all grown and the grand daughter is only three. I like what you use for weight but how long did you have to wait before you could drink? LOL

cracker - I know what your saying!!!!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby EZ » Tue May 23, 2006 9:16 pm

Bruce, the trailer is stock with the exception of the non-folding modification. I guess that means that the axle is below the springs. I needed the wheel clearence anyway. I actually carved out a bit of the 2 X 3 at the nearest point to the tire just for a little extra space. I do think that the U-bolts will bottom out on the frame before the tire hits the floor.

The giant glass of Summit Extra Pale Ale must have been a celebratory thing at that time. Not that it isn't a staple in the shop. Just maybe not in that size! It is my 1 extravegance.

:guzzle:

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby riverfront » Wed May 24, 2006 2:03 pm

Thanks for showing me what you did! Great help! Have you been out on the road with yours? How did it handle?

I wonder if anyone out there installed the axle above the spring on a HF trailer? How did it work out and is this safe or does it put to much preasure on the bolts? Just wondering? Trying to formulate ideas!

EZ - How far are you from the twin cities? I have two sisters on the west side.

Thanks!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques