Trim alternatives??

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Carrying 16' pieces on your car

Postby Darren » Wed May 24, 2006 9:42 am

gyroguy wrote:
Victor Star wrote:They have the same trim he used in 14' pieces... Now I need to figure out how to get the trim home, probably be taking a hacksaw with me.

Here are a couple ideas to get the pieces home ON your car without cutting the pieces.

1. Hang them underneath, supported at both ends and with a bit of rope held by the bottom of your car door. (This worked for rotor blades on a Corvette.)

2. Use rope to make slings on the side of your car. Stick the rope in the side of your trunk lid and close the lid. Tie a piece through a side window to the armrest or window crank. Tie a piece to the right rear mirror. Stick a piece in the side of your hood and shut the hood. (You can't get out of the car on the right side if you do all this, but you get the pieces home.)

Thanks for the tips. :thumbsup:
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby GPW » Thu May 25, 2006 6:52 am

For the local guys ... found out Donovan Marine here in NOLA , carries a nice alum. edge and T moulding in 3/4" widths , matching 3/4" ply doors , etc... wonder if it's soft ???? they call it trim ???
The trimlok pictured originally is what I'd like to get a hold of ... why don't we Co op a roll ?????

Anybody need some Firehose??? :?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Found It!

Postby John T3 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:11 am

The 1 1/16th inch Trimlock vinyl edge can be ordered retail through McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) They're in Santa Fe Springs, CA. I called them (562-692-5911) and set up a will call for Friday. They'll sell in 10' or 50' lengths. 50' cost me 89.00. They will ship (50'.. I'm gonna have extra.)
John T3
Teardrop Builder

Not what I hoped for..

Postby John T3 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:49 pm

:( Well, I picked up the Trimlok roof edge stuff and discovered that it's going to take some improvisation to make it work.. The leg the manufacturer mentions is 1 1/16th inch, but the other leg is just 3/32nds of an inch. This is the leg that must mount vertically. The aluminum on my roof is .040 or about a 16th inch and the luan sheet it is skinning is 1/8th inch. That makes 6/32" of width to cover, not counting the aberations of my trimming. %$@%! Maybe I can aneal (melt) it! :thinking: :lol: Any better suggestions??
John T3
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques