Trim alternatives??

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby GPW » Mon May 22, 2006 6:03 am

Anybody want to split a roll ??? :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rampage » Mon May 22, 2006 7:21 am

If I cant find it local, by the foot i might.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon May 22, 2006 8:13 am

Ramp--you have a good memory. Yeah--I was gonna use something dor over the doors.

This trim thing confuses the crap out of me, because there are so many places you need trim on a TD, and so many different types. For me right now, I need angle and T-molding for my door openings and doors.

Can anyone point to a product like this that would work for me for THIS? Do they make angle plastic, or should I just forget it and go with aluminum?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Todah Tear » Mon May 22, 2006 9:21 am

I am using a recycled material that I cut into 3" wide strips, 25 feet in length with a straight-edge. Because it is material it is easily shaped around curves and it can be attached with a construction adhesive and a stable gun. I put a overcoat of that rubber undercarriage coating (or you can use liquid plastic, Plasti-dip, sold at Lowes). I will coat the trim in the door ways with fiber glass. I plan on painting all of the trim silver when I am done. The paint should handle the UV issue.

This way may be a little more work, but it is inexpensive, allows me to have a continuous trim from front to back, and I don't have to anneal or bend anything. I haven't trimmed everything yet, but thus far, I have been pleased with the results.

Right now my biggest challenge is getting the curvature in my galley hatch. My trim has taken a backseat for now.

I'll let you know how everything turns out.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon May 22, 2006 9:46 am

Todah--can you give me a short idiot's guide on doing the door openings in fiberglass?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Mon May 22, 2006 11:04 am

....Austin Hardware sells a number of the TrimLok products by the foot and gives a price break quicker than TrimLok does (250' vs 500') on some products...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Todah Tear » Mon May 22, 2006 12:30 pm

Okay Ira, I'll take the bait (I'm not certain whether you are teasing or serious :)

I have tried this in the galley area. I haven't gotten to trimming the doors yet. I have been struggling with the hatch shape for a week.
:(
Nevertheless here it goes:

Later you can cut out any holes that you need for mounting hardware or locks.

The door trim can be done in the same fashion.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon May 22, 2006 1:21 pm

I AM serious, but in step one, what do you mean by "ribbon of material?"
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Todah Tear » Mon May 22, 2006 4:19 pm

Ira,

The "ribbon of material" refers to a 3" wide strips that I cut from a roll of mat/cloth type material (It is made of recylcle something or the other.). The cloth is taking the place of the regular expensiver fiber glass cloth; it was left over from what I used in my inner walls. I imagine any type of absorbant cloth or cloth-like material would work (like the material that they make the handi-wipe towels for paint jobs).

I hope that answers your question.

Todah
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 23, 2006 7:06 am

MJ.... I looked at Austin , couldn't find the trimlok ... Sure would be nice for "certain " areas...Love to see some before I bought a mile of it ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue May 23, 2006 7:45 am

gee G, here ya go..... http://austinhardware.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=8
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

How about a no trim option?

Postby John T3 » Wed May 24, 2006 12:03 am

I just got to thinking when I saw those excellent pic's of Fred's (the one's showing his trim molding acros the top of his tear) that there may be another option to molding.
I have planned all along use aluminum sides and a removable tonneau cover for my roof. (There will still be a painted luan roof underneath) If I were to screw stainless steel studs in the same positions that his stainless steel screws are placed, then I could snap the edge of the tonneau cover to these. (I will have to custom make said cover from the fabric and snaps) With the cover wrapping around the roof and with some good sealants applied to the joints underneath it, I'd suspect would be weatherproof (I hope).
....... :lol: It probably wouldn't look too good without the cover - But then I don't look too good anymore without my shirt, either.
John T3
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Wed May 24, 2006 3:45 am

JohnT3...checkout this link http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/sunconkit.html there may be something there for you...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed May 24, 2006 6:56 am

MJ. You are our GURU !!!! Thanks !!!!! OMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Carrying 16' pieces on your car

Postby gyroguy » Wed May 24, 2006 9:39 am

Victor Star wrote:They have the same trim he used in 14' pieces... Now I need to figure out how to get the trim home, probably be taking a hacksaw with me.

Here are a couple ideas to get the pieces home ON your car without cutting the pieces.

1. Hang them underneath, supported at both ends and with a bit of rope held by the bottom of your car door. (This worked for rotor blades on a Corvette.)

2. Use rope to make slings on the side of your car. Stick the rope in the side of your trunk lid and close the lid. Tie a piece through a side window to the armrest or window crank. Tie a piece to the right rear mirror. Stick a piece in the side of your hood and shut the hood. (You can't get out of the car on the right side if you do all this, but you get the pieces home.)
For build pix of Crocodile Tear, completed 10/26/06 -- Look at my album or new website <www.crocodiletear.com> (website has more info)
gyroguy
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques