My Jig Saw Bit the Dust

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby angib » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:11 pm

The two Bosch jigsaw blades I would recommend you guys look at are:

- The reversed-tooth wood blades - so it cuts on the down stroke, not the up stroke. It sounds like it wouldn't work, but it does and it's a huge benefit to be able to cut from the 'good' side when you want to. You have to switch the pendulum action off and the blades can kick back if abused, but the time saving is well worth it.

- The abrasive-edged blades ('RIFF') are wonderful. I got them after using them on fiberglass at work but they will cut loads of things that would blunt toothed blades at once - like ceramic tiles.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:15 pm

Andrew,

I've never used the reversed-tooth blades on a jig-saw, but after testing this new Bosch today, I don't think it'll be that necessary...........even on plywood. (I can see the merit, though, when one needs to cut from the "good" side of the wood.) I got the fine toothed wood blades and it cuts like a dream. As far as the other blade you mentioned, I HAVE used those and yes they are fantastic when you need them.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:27 pm

...at one time B&D had an professional tools division(good stuff, I still have some)...when they merged with DeWalt, the B&D name was connected to the "home" market and DeWalt with the professional market...they are definitely the same company but different divisions...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:31 pm

You'r right MJ, and I'll buy DEwalt over B&D any day. More expensive, but much better quality.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Larwyn » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:43 pm

asianflava wrote:
Todah Tear wrote:The guy at ACE told me that Black and Decker had bought DeWalt.

Todah

I worked with a guy in North Carolina who used to work at a Black & Decker factory. He told me that B&D and DeWalt are made in the same place. That was almost 10 years ago so I don't know what they do now.

I think the B&D has hurt their reputation with all the "affordable tools" that they have been putting out in recent years. They probably kept the DeWalt name separate so it it wouldn't be accosiated with B&D. Don't know that for a fact, but that's what I think they did.

B&D used to sell a line of tools labeled "Professional" that were top quality. A few years ago some of these same tools showed up on the market only they were yellow and labeled DeWalt. The industrial grey color of the old B&D tools looked better to me.... :D , but it seems that B&D decided to market all their top quality tools as DeWalt and discontiue the Professional grade B&D tools.

On another note. I too recently purchased a new jig saw. Over the years I have had the chance to use the Porter Cable model 548, and have wanted one of my own for as many years. It is mostly metal, oil bath worm drive, and vibration free, if you cut off line, it aint the saw's fault. It uses the Porter Cable hook style blades and they are hard to find, except on the internet. Order well ahead of time, the blades I want are often out of stock. I did buy a PC 548, out of stock, took 3 months to arrive, but well worth the wait. All the talk about Bosch makes me wonder how the Bosch compares to the PC 548. Anyone used both...???

I have no reason to think I need a better jig saw, just curious because the Bosch tools do seem well made. I just recently picked up the Bosch PS20 10.8 volt drill driver. Light weight, powerful enough, and fits in your pocket. Best of all works in tight quarters. Not a replacement for the 18 Volt Dewalt but a good for many tasks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby dwgriff1 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:11 am

Porter Cable makes good tools.

A few years ago the Bosch jig saw was the only one of that quality on the market, it is still a safe bet, but now, I believe there are others now that are pretty close.

Still, you get what you pay for. There is no way a $160 tool is the same as a $40 one.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:43 am

Well, I ended up with a SKILL saw which cuts great and with ease.

I have a DeWalt drill that I have had for 8 years. It has been superb, that's why I initially switch the a DeWalt jig when my old one burned up. Once I realized it used a different type of blade, I didn't want to toss all the other blades that I had bought.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby s4son » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:56 pm

So far my TD has killed my Black and Decker sander and my Black and Decker drill. My Black and Decker circular saw is on it's last leg but hanging in there. I also have a useless Harbor Freight router. My Harbor Freight cutoff saw has a broken shield so I won't be using it unless I can get a replacement. Cheap tools are just that. If it turns out I need to use a cut off saw alot (I really do like it), I'll go buy a good one.

SteveT,
What's that big gear shift knob for on the side of the jig saw?

Todah,
You change clothes to go to the hardware store? Man, you must have a fancy one. My Ace Hardware is the only place I feel at home in my saw dust covered gorilla glue stuck to my butt jeans.

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:58 am

ScottF,

Call it socialization, conditioning, or whatever, but we ladies like to be somewhat presentable when we go out in public. After all, one never knows who one might meet at the hardware store. 8)

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:29 pm

Todah Tear wrote:ScottF,

Call it socialization, conditioning, or whatever, but we ladies like to be somewhat presentable when we go out in public. After all, one never knows who one might meet at the hardware store. 8)

Todah

When working on the tear, or anything else around home, I am usually wearing one of my kilts. I have found it is quicker to change into overalls or jeans before going to the hardware store. Seems if I show up in a kilt everyone wants to "interview" me. It's just more trouble than it is worth unless there is time to interact with those with questions.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby asianflava » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:05 pm

Larwyn wrote: Seems if I show up in a kilt everyone wants to "interview" me. It's just more trouble than it is worth unless there is time to interact with those with questions.

Wait till you go camping. You're bound to get lookey-loos. But since you're camping, it's no big deal. You have plenty of time to chat.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:14 pm

Todah

Ya, you might meet someone wearing "sawdust covered, gorilla glue stuck to my butt jeans"
:lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby s4son » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:24 pm

Micro469 wrote:

Todah

Ya, you might meet someone wearing "sawdust covered, gorilla glue stuck to my butt jeans"
:lol:

Yeah, if you run into me at the hardware store don't think I'm stalking you. I'm probably just glued to ya. :lol:

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:50 pm

This is a good discussion--I am getting a new jig saw when I start work on the walls. The one I have is an old Sears Craftsman--I've had it about 30 years. Its motor is rated 2.2 amps--cuts paper real well <g> I figure that once I am done with the current build, I will probably do another, just to get it right--need a decent saw for that <g>

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques