Non-gas rear hatch struts

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:46 pm

it is called a hitch pin.
this is how it works
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:55 pm

Jim... I see a guy with a square hood on his neck, with a reaaally long nose with a pin on the end. What do you see? :lol:

By the way, the straight side of the pin would go through a hole drilled throught he strut...... ;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:31 pm

I like the idea, but something with a bigger hole..... I've seen a couple of folks , struggling trying to get that little pin in a small hole.

I keep looking at the sliding door locks, about $12 and wondering how that would work.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:34 pm

pair of vice-grips will keep that sucker up..with one hand too..
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:21 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:I like the idea, but something with a bigger hole..... I've seen a couple of folks , struggling trying to get that little pin in a small hole.

I keep looking at the sliding door locks, about $12 and wondering how that would work.

...keep in mind during this discussion that a pair of gas shocks will run you less than 20bucks for a pair...add some mounting hardware and you have still spent less than 30 bucks...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:11 am

Yeah, MJ... I saw another post once that mentioned having to do some maintenance during the winter on those gas struts. Should have to go out and move them, use them every few weeks otherwise some kind of problems will set in...?

I haven't started on the hatch yet, so I"ll consider it later ! I'm eager to get this wiring done though-- got the battery yesterday, etc .. but it seems AWFULLY heavy... I'll have to weigh it and see..

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby sunny16 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:53 am

Thanks for all the pin info. I did go to Lowe's last night to get me a couple of lynch pins. Wouldn't you know it, they didn't have any that I needed. Not much of a selection. So I will check a couple of other places today. And I really would like gas struts but the cost just wouldn't fit into the budget right now. I just want to "get 'er done"! (If you know what I mean!)

;)
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:38 am

Sunny16,

What did you use to drill through those copper rods. I have some rods that I bought for another project, but I could never drill through it.

I will cover the gap with a piece of rubber wide enough to cover the gap, hinge knuckle and use some aluminum strips to seal and hold it on. I will also use some gasket underneath. Can't be too careful when it comes to water.

The other day when I was at my 2nd home, Lowes, I noticed a rubber strip that is about 4" x 36" in the door weather stripping area that might work

Also, in the plumbing department that they have rubber sheetinging (1/8") for around $4/ft (vertical). The roll is 5' wide. It is supposed be used as backing for a shower (I think). Anyway, I thought about using this as an over-lay between the main body and galley hatch transistion area. :roll:

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sunny16 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:08 pm

TT,

It is copper pipe, the kind used for plubing. It is real easy to dril thru. Just keeping it centered can be tough. I know what you mean with the rubber sheeting. I will have to look at it and see if it will work. I called a local place, Elastomer Products, and they have all kinds of rubber material that comes in rolls or sheets and different sizes. So check locally, too.

I found my lynch pins today at a small Nut & Bolt Supply place. $2.00 a piece but worth it. I just hope they fit and hold up the hatch. :thinking:
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby edevans » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:38 pm

After lookinging at your ideas on gas less struts I decided to give it a try with some left over tent poles. Seems to work just fine thanks for sharing the ideas. Pics are in my album do not know how to post them here will try to learn later. Ed
edevans
The 300 Club

Postby rmcelroy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:27 am

MJ I thought the cost of the gas struts would be higher. I really didn't check into them, with everything else on my mind at the time I didn't set aside the time to deal with the hatch weight/strut angle open/close dimensions and all.

The door locks I'm using will only keep the hatch open-if its windy I'll have to be careful the hatch doesn't sail on me, it is very light.

Mc
Wheather you think you can or you think you can't, your right.

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:58 am

Mc...from Austin Hardware, I have found the prices to run from 8 to 15 bucks apiece (depending on size/style/weights) plus a buck and a half or so for the mounting bracket(2 required).........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dakotamouse » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Hey Madjack,

I've been looking at the Austin Hardware site and their prices are good but I'm confused :?

Could you recomend a gas strut model for the Kuffel Creek Cubby and the mounting brackets? :thinking:

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:22 pm

I'm sorry Dakota but there are just too many variablesi involved for me to make an informed recommendation...in fact I am working on that same thing myself...all I can say is to get at least a 90# strut or better, after that you are on your own on this one...so sorry for that......
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:14 pm

I was going to use Ira's broomstick method. I cut the broomsticks 3 times and they were still too short! :lol:
So I improvised this solution:

The only problem is I would have to buy another ice chest and shop broom, so I guess I'll be ordering gas struts from Austin Hardware. ;)
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques