Cutting The Skin

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:38 am

asianflava wrote:Man you're fast. It took me almost 18months before I skinned mine.

I used the same material, I cut it with a set of El Cheapo Harbor Freight electric shears. First I made a line down the entire length of the aluminum to establish the width. After I had the roll the width I needed, I cut the individual pieces off. I just layed the sheet on the grass and cut it in the yard. I was afraid that walking on the sheet might damage it. I had no other option so I did, it didn't hurt it a bit.

For the sides, I used 4X10 sheets. I just put a 2X4 on the bottom of the side and held it up with a jack. I put the sheet on the side and set it on the 2X4 then taped it in place. After I had it where I wanted, I marked the profile with a sharpie. I put it on top of the trailer and cut it out. I put it back on and fine tuned it with snips.

I wasn't too concerned with the cuts because they were going to be hidden by the trim. The hard part was cutting the doors since I wanted to use the part that was cut out. I used a combination of Dremel and jigsaw.

Hey Rocky!! That aluminum looks really nice!! :thumbsup: Great job!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques