Some painting ideas !

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:36 am

Ed,

I checked the website you gave for the epoxy...I assume the '$39 you refer to is the gallon of laminating epoxy?

Thanks,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby EZ » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:40 am

Jim,

What I used from FGCI is this:
65734084 1:1 NON-CORROSIVE ACT/QUART QT 13.55
65404184 LAMINATING EPOXY/QUART QT 14.45

The price I gave includes shipping. It was more than enough to coat my camper when thinned about 3:1 with acetone. I have about 1/3 of it left. I could have done a second coat and gotten an even smoother finish but I am too lazy and I sorta wanted the grain of the wood to show through. The second coat would be quick because it would not soak into the wood.

I suppose that thinning it does dimished some of it's gluing power but as far as waterproofing it helps it soak into the wood better and seals great. You might have to periodically add a little acetone to the mix as it evaporates and the mix gets thicker as you go.

There are lots of other epoxies and ways to do this around, I just have had experience using this method and it worked great for my sailboat and it is inexpensive so I did it again.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques