"Must have" tools

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby asianflava » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:14 pm

Dale, I tried those drill drivers. The aluminum shank would gall up on the steel ball. After a while it would be stuck. I tried an El Cheapo Home Depot one and a Sears one and they did the same thing. I'm glad that it works for you, I wasn't so lucky.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby tyke » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:32 am

doug hodder wrote:Tyke...I've found the most important tool is a good sense of humor, and the willingness to learn....the rest of the stuff will fall into place with some research and well asked questions.... :thumbsup: Doug

:D I think your right Doug, I think I have most of the tools mentioned.

Cheers :)
Steve Topp
tyke
Donating Member

Postby tyke » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:39 am

:D Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply :)
Steve Topp
tyke
Donating Member

Postby Ptomaine » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:28 am

I am building my first trailer and I have to add pencils and tape measures. I have at least four pencils, and a couple of tapes in the garage, yet whenever I need one, they are nowhere to be found!! :(
As you grow up and leave the playground where you kissed your prince and found your frog.
Remember the Jester that showed you tears The script for tears.
Ptomaine
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulC » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:34 am

Ptomaine wrote:I am building my first trailer and I have to add pencils and tape measures. I have at least four pencils, and a couple of tapes in the garage, yet whenever I need one, they are nowhere to be found!! :(

Oh Oh! The dreaded shop trolls strike again :? Welcome aboard Ptomaine, glad to see you've shown yourself.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:43 am

...welcome Ptomaine...what ya building and where are the pictures...we just luv da pics around here :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:09 am

Ptomaine wrote:I am building my first trailer and I have to add pencils and tape measures. I have at least four pencils, and a couple of tapes in the garage, yet whenever I need one, they are nowhere to be found!! :(

Welcome Ptomaine,
As Madjack said pic's. All the advice you want here for the mere price of pic's.
So with your suggestion my must have tool would be the toolbelt. :D
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:22 am

I have a tool belt. If I wore it, I still wouldn't be able to find a pencil or a tape because I keep putting them down somewhere and forgetting where I put them. I can't blame the trolls for that, can I?. I just misplace them. A couple of weeks ago, I bought two more tapes. Now I have about 5 tapes and no telling how many pencils. I even keep one tape on my desk inside to "find" and use if all else fails and I can't find any of the others. Handyman just sent me another carpenter's pencil to lose.
:cry:
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:27 am

Welcome Ptomaine,
We are still off the bubble but someone is going to find some bubble oil and we might get normal. 8) :oops: Well some might. :lol:

I put a small plastic tub on the floor of my tear. It contains 2 pencils a tape measurer, drill bits and countersink. It has been hard to remember to put them there but I am making progress.

I have another smaller box that has the screws I am using for the day. Just dumped them in so they are not falling out and giving me flats.
The trolls have been forbidden to touch.

They did however get my AAA batterys for the camera. :roll:
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:58 am

Did anybody mention clamps yet? :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:36 am

..a word on pencils...over the many years of building stuff I have used just about every type of pencil known to mankind...I now buy 10 packs of disposable mechanical pencils...they draw a fine line, are always sharp and can be had with bright colored cases, making them easier to find...the trolls don't seem to like them as much as wodden pencils..and did I mention they don't have to be sharpened....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:03 am

(Warning - Thread Hijack)

Ptomaine,

Welcome and thank you for making me laugh - your nickname on this forum does sound like (Le) Pétomane and the small boy in me laughs at that a lot......

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:14 am

Andrew, that was my first thought upon reading that name...by the way, it is one of the funniest movies ever made...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:17 am

opps :oops: , I guess I should have checked the link first...I thought you were referring to the Mel Brooks character in the movie "Blazing Saddles"...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ptomaine » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:53 pm

Thanks to all for making me feel welcome. I am going to try to respond again using IE. Opera crashed when I hit the 'submit' button the first time. I'm going to try to respond to most on the posts .

I am building a Bastardized Weekender; I've stolen ideas from multiple sites and added a few of my own. I'll work on getting some pictures. I am building this thing on a shoestring budget. I have already realized this won't be my last trailer, so why sink to much into it?
I do have some toolbelts, but it has damned hot here in the desert and the pouches make me sweatier than a docker's armpit!!
I am also having problems misplacing my glasses, but I only need them to read the tape measures that keep disappearing.
I don't think I have shop trolls. My washer and dryer are in the garage; I think the sock monster is taking my pencils.
The name Ptomaine is a joke from my Navy cook days. It used to be fun watching the new crewmen on the submarine squirm when they were introduced to a cook named Ptomaine! It didn't take them long to realize I had professional training and a wall full of foodservice awards.

Back to the topic of this thread. I have found my quick change countersink/driver thingy
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000022 to be very useful.
As you grow up and leave the playground where you kissed your prince and found your frog.
Remember the Jester that showed you tears The script for tears.
Ptomaine
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques