"Must have" tools

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:57 pm

Juneaudave wrote:One of my very favorites is a Dozuki saw. I always have one in reach or find myself poking around the shop trying to figure out where I laid it.

Since I had to look it up I thought I would share. :lol: No thanks needed, money will do. 8)
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PaulC » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:20 pm

I have to ask why no-one has mentioned the need for a digital camera? 8) We all know why we need that :o

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

PaulC wrote:I have to ask why no-one has mentioned the need for a digital camera? 8) We all know why we need that :o

Cheers

...well, I thought that was just a "given"...ya know :D ;) ................................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:09 pm

asianflava wrote:
And oh yeah, Clamps

:D

I probably have 40 clamps of various sizes and shapes...but my kids bought me two more high end spring clams for Father's Day without me even asking!!! So much for the traditional after shave lotion. :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:54 pm

madjack wrote:
PaulC wrote:I have to ask why no-one has mentioned the need for a digital camera? 8) We all know why we need that :o

Cheers

...well, I thought that was just a "given"...ya know :D ;) ................................. 8)

Heck I thought it was required. I'm pretty sure I was ordered to the nearest walmart for a cheappy. :lol:
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Ron » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:41 pm

I'll add a couple more that I found helpful:
-Pocket hole Jig
-Laminate trimmer

Best Regards,
Ron
Ron
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:22 am

Tyke...I've found the most important tool is a good sense of humor, and the willingness to learn....the rest of the stuff will fall into place with some research and well asked questions.... :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 am

...by the way, has anyone mentioned clamps yet :D ;) ....................................................... :lol: 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:56 am

CLAMPS CLAMPS CLAMPS CLAMPS CLAMPS!!!!!!!!!

No self respecting woodworker can do without clamps................and lots of them. :thinking: When I started out, I added haphazardly to my collection until it was obvious I needed to make a serious investment. Had an opportunity to purchase about $1000 worth of cabinet clamps for $750. Thought I'd whipped my problem. :thumbsup: Now all I need is a couple of thousand more to have as many as I really need. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby PaulC » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:21 am

Has anyone mentioned one of those portable bandsaw thingies you guys over there love so much.
And I've noticed that Larwyn has been remiss in not promoting the Triton Range of tools.
Plus you should always maintain good relations with "The Keeper of the Purse"
Oh yeah, and plenty of clamps.................Has anyone mentioned that yet.

Cheers from the Sicko from Downunder
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby cracker39 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:46 am

Did anyone mention that the pad or disk sander should be a random orbital type?

I don't see how anyone can really build without a table saw. I guess it can be done, but not by me. I know, it was already mentioned...just adding my $.02. And a power miter (i.e. cut-off or chop) saw is a time saver. I have table, miter and band saws.

Meriam's idea of the baggie must be using it like an icing bag? That is, to squeeze it out of a corner that's been cut out? Neat idea.

Besides clamps, 15'-20' long ratchet type cargo straps are handy for bending down the ply to the roof curve.

Since you have a frame, you won't need heavy duty metal working equipment.

Screwdrivers...cordless, powered of course with magnetic bit holders and lots of bits. I have a Dewalt cordless drill, but bought two of the HF 18V cordless drills, one in a kit with other attachments (some of which I have even used). Even if you only use one at a time, you have the extra battery. I often kept a drill bit in one, and screwdriver bit in the other. Having this tool is handy too.

It allows you to use one drill to drill countersunk holes, then reverse the bit to put in the screw. Several companies make a version of this one.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gadget Man » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:48 am

Tools-Tools-Tools, Hence my nick-name of almost 30 some odd years...
"Gadget Man".
I've had or tried them all. But so far no one has mentioned a simple hand plain, (I believe that's the true name) you-know, the little 6" plain for taking that last 1/8 inch off a board to make it fit just perfectly.
I found that I used mine a lot.
Also the 5# 10# & 15 pound weights from my weight bench, since no one in my family actually lifts them like they were intended to be used.
I used them to weigh down my side walls while I glued them together, after I did a "Bisquet Joint" on every connection, There, thats another tool no one mentioned. All I can say is get ready to be a "Frequent Flyer" at your local Home Depot or Lowes store...
Good Luck, the fun is just begining.

Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:53 am

(Block plane)
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Ira » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:51 am

See what good all of those clamps are gonna do you when you have a huge splinter in your pinkie!

And I forgot one other tool:

A bottle opener.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:28 pm

Ira, you couldn't have picked up more splinters than I did. I'd be running in the house for the tweezers several times a day. Or a needle if it was embedded too deep to get a grip on it (minor surgery without a license).
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques