"Must have" tools

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby doug hodder » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:15 am

Ptomaine...based on your experience...I'm sure we would all appreciate some of your "chef's delights" this is also an eating crowd!!! :lol: got any dutch oven experience? Welcome aboard...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PaulC » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:17 am

Ptomaine wrote:Back to the topic of this thread. I have found my quick change countersink/driver thingy
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000022 to be very useful.

Okay, enough with the technical terms :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Joanne » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:58 pm

For me, it's the BandAids! I'm on my second box. Did I mention I'm a klutz?!?!

The "surprise tool" of my build was the small block plane. I have used it more than I would have ever expected. Especially when I needed to shave 1/8 or so off the paneling to make it fit.

The "cool tool" was the Kreg pocket hole jig. I didn't even know what a pocket hole was when I started my build. After hearing about them here I went out and bought one. I've used it for everything.

The "best return on investment" was the Veritas sharpening jig. It paid for itself! Rather than buying new chisels and planes, I bought the sharpening jig and reconditioned all the old tools.

The best "time-saving tool" was a second drill. I used one to drill and countersink, and the other drive the screws. It's nice to have friends with tools. (Another friend let me use his power miter saw. It's nice but a little scary to use.)

Do the Dutch Ovens count? I have to eat while I build.

Ira, I would have thought your most important tool was your ICE CHEST! :lol: :lol: Gotta keep that beer cold!

Joanne

Still can't figure out how to get the router to do the miracles I see you guys doing with them.
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:15 pm

Joanne is right about the block plane...if you haven't used on since woodshop in high school...and couldn't make it work then...give it a try. An excellent starter is the Stanley 60-1/2 Low-Angle Block Plane. Very inexpensive and good for end cuts.

And to go with your block plane, chisels and scrapers...get a good sharpening stone. Joanne and I must shop at the same store. The Veritas sharpening jig is great when matched with a good stone.

I cannot tell you how good a very sharp chisel or plane will work until you try one. When you buy most chisels and planes, while they feel sharp, they are not.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Gadget Man » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:34 pm

I agree with Cracker39 About the "Tool Belt"
You don't need a big huge one, (Does Size Matter?) just a small pouch to hold your tape, pencil and square. You can't believe how much time you save when you have your pencil and tape at your side all the time.
How many times have you made a measurement, then didn't have a pencil in hand to make a mark ? I bet more times than you care to admit. :cry:
When you put on the tool belt you are telling the world your are ready to work, and work more efficiently.
The tool belt was my most important tool.

Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:58 am

I know I've said it, but want to echo Joanne's comments about the Kreg pocket hole jig and the 2nd drill. I couldn't do without either. The cheap HF drills are a fraction of the cost of the better ones, but make a great power screwdriver.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby BILLYL » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:55 am

One more thought! Use the same tape measure throughout your build. As in previous discussions you can have significant differences between measures.

- Love the name

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:05 am

Here's what I used:
Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby dwgriff1 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:41 pm

I once bought a spendy tool for my cabinet shop.

My wife asked: "When does this stop?"

"It never does."

It would be good to buy a well equipped tool store, keep one of each and then sell the store.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:34 pm

We have a spending truce in effect. I buy tools and camper stuff. My wife buys scrapbooking stuff. Sort of a quid pro quo arrangement. At least I go to the stores for mine. My wife buys mostly online. The house is littered with QVC boxes and the UPS man makes scheduled stops at our house. If he misses a day, I get worried that my wife will go into withdrawal. The guest bedroom has a wall-length work table that I built for her hobby (to justify my tools and so that she can't say that I don't build her anything). But, she is working on a Squidget scrapbook page for me (We may frame it and put it on the TTT wall). We finally had to stand the bed up on end to make more room for the scrapbooking supply cabinets and boxes. At least, I only filled up the screened in back porch with my tools and work benches, so it wasn't me that caused our grandchildren to have to sleep on the floor when they come to visit unless they want to sleep in a bed standing up. Oh well, I suppose that we all need our hobbies.
Last edited by cracker39 on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Simple tool, but makes reducing/enlarging patterns so much easier.

Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Boodro » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:37 pm

Hey Aunti M , great for makin " Round tooits" also! :lol: :lol: :lol: :scratchthinking:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tonyj » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:57 pm

Most important, must have tools in my shop? Eyes (2) and fingers (10)!
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Boodro » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 am

Tony ,what about the opposing thumbs ???? Kinda handy to have with 8 fingers! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chris C » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:36 am

Yeah, but it's nice to start with and end with the same number of digits..........................whether they be thumbs or fingers.............and let's not forget toes. It's easy to drop an anvil on a toe! (I'm a'thinkin' of Larwyn here!) :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques