Side tent and airconditioning.....another option.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Endo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:05 pm

fireaunt wrote:How long does it take to set up.

I think I would want to be in the same spot for a few days before I would feel justified to set it up..............if you needed "a home base" it would be nice.

We don't set it up unless we are spending 2 or more nights in one spot.

It doesn't take long after you have done it once or twice.

I never really timed it but I would say it takes ~10-15 minutes to set up and attach to the tear.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby wlooper89 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:49 pm

fireaunt wrote:And I wonder where Paige the cat keeps her litter box. Does she like to ride in the car? I'd love to take my cats.

Marilyn

Paige keeps her litter box and food & water dishes in a corner of the tent. We got a mat at Petsmart to go under it, a sort of kitty doormat that collects most of the litter from her feet. When we start out she is usually nervous in the car and complains a bit for the first few miles, then seems to settle down and enjoy the camping experience. When we pack up to come home she does not mind the car at all. Our tent has a floor which is a plus. Otherwise her getting out under the edge would be a concern. Paige would love to go exploring at night but might get lost.

I checked at a fabric shop to see if they have tent fabric to close up the mesh on the one side of our tent that does not close. We need to do that for an A/C or a heater to do much good. The shop has rip-stop nylon that should work well. We wish our tent already had a closable flap for that area. The one I want to make would cover the mesh side that snaps around the teardrop doorway and fits around the wheel/fender area. I am thinking a combination of zippers and Velcro to attach it. Patricia has said she will teach me to sew. The sewing and learning how will take some time, but having finished work on the electrical system I need a new project. :)

Bill
Last edited by wlooper89 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby fireaunt » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:28 am

I know you have it figured but I can't picture it. Since mine is folk art, I'd probably use duct tape and clear plastic. I do admire the work of those who can do it correctly. I just don't have the patience. I know Paige is a good supervisor and trust it will be done to her high standards. hehe ;)
fireaunt
500 Club

Attaching a tent to a teardrop

Postby Kristi Foster » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:52 pm

Your pictures, of how to attach a teardrop to a tent, have given me some great ideas of how to attach an awning to a teardrop without installing any hardware on the teardrop. I plan to make some awnings specifically for teardrops in the near future. Thanks for sharing your pictures.KF
http://www.vintageawnings.blogspot.com
ebay power seller: dlf1954
See pictures of my Vintage Trailer Awnings in my personal gallery.ImageImage
Kristi Foster
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Attaching a tent to a teardrop

Postby Endo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:45 pm

Kristi Foster wrote:Your pictures, of how to attach a teardrop to a tent, have given me some great ideas of how to attach an awning to a teardrop without installing any hardware on the teardrop. I plan to make some awnings specifically for teardrops in the near future. Thanks for sharing your pictures.KF

No problem.

I added rope cleats to the bottom of the frame (opposite side of the tent). Just throw the ropes across the tear and attach to the cleats.
This makes it easy to attach and tighten down the tent. It may work well for an awning as well.

Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Suv tent

Postby doitright » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 pm

can you tell me the size of the opening? I have a rear door Scotty and would love to have the tent for it. I just want to know if I need the full size suv tent or the mid size suv tent. The tent you have looks better than the full size suv tent. The Scotty is 6'3" wide and 5' tall.
Keivn
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Re: Suv tent

Postby Endo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 pm

doitright wrote:can you tell me the size of the opening? I have a rear door Scotty and would love to have the tent for it. I just want to know if I need the full size suv tent or the mid size suv tent. The tent you have looks better than the full size suv tent. The Scotty is 6'3" wide and 5' tall.
Keivn

I don't know the size of the opening. I can measure it next time I set it up.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques