Side tent and airconditioning.....another option.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Tent Air Conditioning

Postby wlooper89 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:52 pm

That really looks like a nice tent air conditioning arrangement. I may try to do something similar. We have a Little Guy with the attached screen room tent. The tent snaps on around the passenger side door. One problem is the side of the tent around the door is a screen mesh material open to the outside. The tent is not made with a way to close up that side when it is attached to the trailer. So the tent temperature is pretty much always the same as outside. There is a solid flap, but it needs to stretch over the trailer to keep rain out of the tent and it cannot drop down past the trailer door.

I might try to Velcro on a solid piece of tent fabric to seal up that side, if I can find a source for that type of fabric. Then an A/C setup like yours or a heater could do some good. We usually leave the trailer door open on the tent side because our cat, Paige the camping kitty, likes to go back and forth between the tent and trailer.

There is a photo of the trailer and tent in my album, page 2. I would appreciate any ideas on sealing up the trailer side of the tent.

Bill

PS My response is two years later, I wonder if anyone is watching this topic now. Still a great idea!
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:08 am

Great idea! I think i will adapt yours to my ez-up! :thumbsup:
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Tent Air Conditioning

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:51 am

wlooper89 wrote:
PS My response is two years later, I wonder if anyone is watching this topic now. Still a great idea!

Thanks for the post and resurrection of the thread - it maybe old but good ideas never age! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: Tent Air Conditioning

Postby Endo » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:23 pm

starleen2 wrote:
wlooper89 wrote:

Thanks for the post and resurrection of the thread - it maybe old but good ideas never age! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Wow it is 2 years later.......... I am still using the same set-up.

It has worked well.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:02 pm

Endo,

I guess a good idea is like a fine wine. It only gets better with time. After using it for 2 years, and it's still working well, says, you've come up with a winner!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:40 am

Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cccamper » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:25 pm

Endo wrote:
Ira wrote:Do you have any shots of how that tent attaches to the side of the TD? I've never seen an SUV tent attached as a side tent.

Ira I don't have any clear shots of how I attach it. The "boot" part of the tent wraps around the front edge and side of the tear. I stap the boot in place across the top of the tear with bungee cords. The bungee cords go over the top and attach to the frame on the opposite side of the tear. I then tuck the window flap of the tent under the matress (you can see that in the above pictures). I also have a rain fly/awning that I mount across the top of the tent. I position it so the awning part extends over the tear. This helps shed any rain water. I hope that makes sense. Next time out I will try to get some clear shots.

If you check the hall of fame look at the pictures of Bill R's 46 Kit. He has a SUV tent and has a few pics. His tent is slightly different but it will give you an idea of how it is attached. Here is a link:
http://www.kitteardrop.com/photo.htm

This is the tent that I have.

2008!

My SPORTZ just arrived. It is #83000, new for 2008. Basically at this point you get on a list and they ship to you after they receive a shipment.

It's similar to the one above. It is 10' x10'. The rain fly door is on the opposite side from the sleeve. The end facing us has a removable 7'6"X10' screen room. It is without floor and you can leave it that way, or buy a cloth from SPORTZ or you can use vinyl or rug or even an ex-wedding dress.

Of course you can search SPORTZ 83000 if you want to see a photo. duh :lol:

Elizabeth aka e
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Endo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:02 pm

cccamper wrote:The rain fly door is on the opposite side from the sleeve.

My rain fly is removable. The awning is attached to the rain fly. I can position it in any direction that I choose. Is your awning permanently attached to the tent?
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby cccamper » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:46 pm

Endo wrote:
cccamper wrote:The rain fly door is on the opposite side from the sleeve.

My rain fly is removable. The awning is attached to the rain fly. I can position it in any direction that I choose. Is your awning permanently attached to the tent?

Hi!
Here's the blurb from another web site

The 2008 Napier Sportz SUV 83000 tent transforms your vehicle into a home away from home, no matter where the trails take you. The Sportz SUV 83000 tent wraps around your vehicle’s rear end, creating a shelter large enough to accommodate two campers in the cargo area and another six in the 10-by-10-ft. tent area, with plenty of room left over for storage. A seven-by-six-ft. detachable screen room lets you enjoy meals al fresco without the worry of uninvited winged or legged guests. Two large entrance doors, three No-See-Um mesh windows and two skylights provide ventilation. Come rain, the fully tape seamed rain fly is handy. Come shine, you’ll be relaxing in the cool shade of the six-by-six-ft. awning. Remove the sleeve to turn the Sportz SUV 83000 truck tent into a standalone tent. Napier.

:sweaty: I think the versatility of these tents are great. we just got it and in light of the rain and 100 degree weather have NOT put the tent up yet! The fly appears to be capable of rotating in directions over the main tent.

I wondered if there was more needed to cover the sleeve joint for rain. Hadn't thought of the fly.

Elizabeth :relaxing:
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby fireaunt » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:06 am

I'm wondering about the top of the tent --most I have seen lately have mesh in the top. Does yours? I guess it doesn't or it would be pretty hard to use the a/c.

And I wonder where Paige the cat keeps her litter box. Does she like to ride in the car? I'd love to take my cats.

Marilyn
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby cccamper » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:27 am

fireaunt wrote:I'm wondering about the top of the tent --most I have seen lately have mesh in the top. Does yours? I guess it doesn't or it would be pretty hard to use the a/c.

And I wonder where Paige the cat keeps her litter box. Does she like to ride in the car? I'd love to take my cats.

Marilyn

It has "skylights" which are the screen material. That's under the rain fly. Not sure what that has to do with the AC? Or was this re: another note( or "duh" ) :)

e . . . . :relaxing:

Elizabeth and Robert
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby fireaunt » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:18 am

E ,
The original post was about having the side tent and cutting a place to set-up a window unit a/c that would cool the td and the tent.

I wondered how you would seal off the mesh area.

Marilyn
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby cccamper » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:38 am

fireaunt wrote:E ,
The original post was about having the side tent and cutting a place to set-up a window unit a/c that would cool the td and the tent.

Marilyn

Oh, ok! :lol: We are planning on shutting the door... not that it is relevant. The PetCool (heat or cool) will sit by the left rear wheel.

I liked their arrangement, really creative wasn't it!

e....... :relaxing:

Elizabeth and Robert
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Endo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:56 am

fireaunt wrote:E ,

Marilyn

My tent has small mesh areas in the ceiling/top as well but it also has nylon flaps that zip closed to cover them.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby fireaunt » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:37 pm

I've been pondering this tent idea but all the inexpensive ones don't cover the mesh. How long does it take to set up. I think I would want to be in the same spot for a few days before I would feel justified to set it up. I'm sure the purist TDer wouldn't like one, but if you needed "a home base" it would be nice.

Thanks for the responses 8)
Last edited by fireaunt on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fireaunt
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques