tech help needed

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

tech help needed

Postby slowpoke » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:33 pm

Are there any online articles showing how to make a door, door seal and latch? What kind of trim is used around the doors and selfmade windows?
I plan buying the hinges used on the galley lid on TD's, can you cut these hinges shorter if needed?
thx
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:27 am

Most people trim their doors in t-molding and buy the door latches and t-molding from Grant Whipp. After you check out Grant's web page, you'll probably do the same.

http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/

You don't want to use a galley hinge on the door. Use an aluminum or stainless steel piano hinge!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby slowpoke » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:43 pm

Hey thanks for the web link, that answers alot of questions for me. I am planning to use the galley lid hinge on the side "hatches" that lift up which will be a 1/4" short of 8', plus on the front and rear "hatches" that open up are going to be short. So I was wondering if you cut cut the hinge to length?
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:00 pm

The last two hinges I ordered from Grant were cut to the length specified plus an extra inch or so. That so you can put a rain diverter on the hatch hinge. There's a picture of a rain diverter in a thread with Bev's hatch! If you do a search on diverter you'll find the thread. Also Jerry Lawrence has a good picture of his rain diverter in his personal photo gallery.

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... user_id=36

But you may not need one on your beach camper!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques