Coleman Portable Shower - Modifications????

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Ira » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:21 am

Elumia wrote:mount a similar push pull switch under the cabinet so you can pull on and push off with your body if your hands are wet.

How the heck do you that? This unit has the on/off button mounted in a box. Do you mean hard wire into it and install a second switch?

The box is totally waterproof anyway, so there's no danger when touching it when you're wet.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Loader » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:01 am

Ira, I bet you could mount a secondary switch. Sorry, didn't spend anytime on the trailer last night, had to work on school homework. Yeah, I know, what the heck is a 40+ guy doing going to school?!?!

I think you are going to have to mount it under the counter like you had mentioned, in order to avoid drilling/cutting any holes.

I'm looking at mounting my sink on a table "wing" that will be put in place after arrival at the camp ground.

Hey, Fornesto how did you modify your Coleman unit to work on the 12VDC power system?
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ira » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:30 am

Why bother going 12V if it just uses batteries anyway?

I think I'm going to glue/epoxy a small square plastic plate to the bottom of the switchbox, drill two holes, and screw it to the underside of the counter that way.

Don't have it in front of me right now to see if this is yet just another of my ridiculous, unworkbale ideas.

And don't feel bad about going back to school. If I ever finish this TD, I want to take up the TROMBONE.

I already play the guitar, but I figured it would be fun to play an instrument where spit plays a major part.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby EZ » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:40 am

One of those pull-on push-off switches like I used would work well under the counter. You could pull it on and if your hands were wet you could just push it in with your hip (or something) to turn it off.

The pump unit I have is 6 volt and comes with a lighter plug that converts 12 to 6 volts. I mounted a socket under the table near the pump battery box. I will use it with the D batteries until they die and then plug it in if I need to. It is easy to cut the wiring to the battery box with the switch in it and wire a switch in where you want it. Then I turn the power off using the switch on the box when not in use to keep the kids from firing up the pump when there is no water in the tank.

If I had a 3 way valve I could easily run a small tube to the porta-potti for electric flushing and another larger one through the wall to connect a shower. In the future maybe.......

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby fornesto » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:57 pm

If its a 6V pump...that would explain the incredible volume I get from mine. Ya' see, I hardwired it straight up 12V! Yeee HAAAAWWW!!! I junked the battery pack, the 6/12V cig. plug and wired in my own switch....Battery -> Fuse -> Switch -> Pump...I even snipped the shower head for a more demure faucet.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby Boodro » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:42 pm

Hey Ira , its too hard to drink beer & play the trombone at the same time!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: The beer just makes the valves all sticky :guzzle: :lol: :lol:
Course ya could just fill up the trombone with beer & suck it out instead of blowin! :P :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:20 am

It's like a big brass beer bong. :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

hot water for a shower

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:20 pm

I picked up a large pressure cooker at a garage sale for $5. I took out the pressure gauge and regulator put in a fitting with a dip tube soldered into the underside and hooked up a kitchen sink spray head on the outside. In the other tapped hole I put a scharader valve so I can pressurize it with a small compressor or bicycle pump. I believe in safety valves so I left in the rubber safety relief in the center. Just a thought. Now I fill it with 3 gallons of water, heat it on a burner, pump it up, and have a hot "Navy" shower. This works great, even for former Marine officers. I later built up thickness in a small part of the lid, filled in the original safety valve opening (using a tig welder) and then drilled and tapped the lid for a comercial safety pop off valve that resets itself (those little rubber buttons are hard to find when they blow out) and a pressure gauge. Even "Snookems" (my other half) finds this to be a very acceptable shower facilitator.
Eric "Gus" Marquardt
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

The easy way

Postby Steve Nikkel » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:13 pm

I spent 10 years on the ren-faire circuit, tent camping, showers were not always available. I found 2gal pump up yard sprayers on sale at the local box store, bought 2. One for yard weed herbicide, the other WELL LABELED is my camping shower. Pour hot water (from 2gal coffee pot on coleman) in, mix some cooll to make it usable , pump up and spray down, works great, and if one is judicious with the water use, will give shower and shampoo on one load.
Steve Nikkel

I'm Draggin-----Draggin the Main once more
With a Peroxide Blonde in a hopped up model Ford.
(Brian Setzer)
Steve Nikkel
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques