Fenders

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:17 pm

The Fender mounting such as" the kit" fiberglass ones dont have to go thru the entire 3/4 inch ply does it? If it does the screws would be showing on the inside.... :thinking: :thinking:

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:18 pm

I put tee nuts on the inside, you hardly notice them. When I planned the interior stringers, I neglected the fenders, I had to go thru the wall. The tee nuts provide a large bearing surface so they won't pull thru the 1/8in ply. I should say, "more difficult to pull thru the 1/8in ply." I'm shure they will pull thru if there was enough force.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:13 pm

Heikki....I did through bolt my fenders...6 bolts using fender washers on the interior...painted them and the bolts out with hammer finished paint...I only had 3/4" thick walls...I just don't think a screw is going to hold them, you and I have the same fenders so do a test, but I think you'll find you want something more secure...

KA....you can mold your own fenders...lots of info out there on how to do it, but I don't have a specific site for it...but you will need to decide just how much time and money you want to put into it...the initial cost of FG materials/ and the learning curve might be offset by just buying a set and save you time in the long run, however molding up your own stuff is a lot of fun and the satisfaction of doing it yourself is fantastic...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

fenders

Postby KA » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Thanks Doug for the advice. I was thinking that it could be kind of fun to do something sculptural with the fiberglass. Guess I'll have to play around with it a little bit.
Kris :designing:
KA
Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:25 am

Kris, I have a set of fenders that will work really well for 15" tires. I got them before deciding to widen my trailer and build the fenders myself. If you're interested, I would be willing to give you an incredible deal on them (way less than I paid for them). They look very similar to the ones that Jim has in his photo. Just PM me if you're interested.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:33 am

Heikki,

Check with McMaster-Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/ They have threaded brass inserts for wood which will fit into a blind hole. They really have good holding strength, and with the number of bolts typically used in a fender, they'd do just fine.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:48 pm

Heikki, we have the same fenders and walls and thru bolted them just like Doug did...we also put a strip of 1"x3/16 foam weatherstip along the flat flange to act as welting and give a little padding and shock absorption between the fenders and body...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

fenders

Postby KA » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:07 pm

I have fenders now thanks to Amy. Now, I'm going to get some primer and start painting. I guess this qualifies as actually starting my build. I'll probably have all kinds of accessories finished (curtains, rug, potholders, recipe book, driftwood coat hook, lounge chairs, etc., etc.) before I get the scary chassis started but I'm working up my courage. Thanks to all for the fender suggestions. :D
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques