Why use a template........

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Why use a template........

Postby Larwyn » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:22 pm

As some of you probably know I have decided to use a different profile the the one I originally cut the temlate for.

I am kind of wondering why bother with another template? I cannot seem to come up with a good reason to make the template first, then use it to cut two more sides, why not just cut the first side, true it up and then use that to guide the router with the pattern bit??

The first one was only 8 feet long so not that much of a deal, but for this one I would have to splice on another 18 inches for the the template. Seems that cutting two sides would be quicker and easier than 3..... :D

Steve..????.....Anybody???.... What am I missing here.?
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:28 pm

I didn't use a template at all. I laid out the profile on the side of the wood and went at it with the skill saw... Call me daring, okay? ;-)

From an economical standpoint, you are right. Cut one side... make sure it's right, and then use it as a template to cut the other side. You're not missing anything... The only reason to hang onto a template is if you want to start cranking out teardrops by the dozen!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:45 pm

For my method of construction, see my site, the pattern was used to cut all the wall pieces. I cut the exterior walls, layed out the bulkheads, cut the interior walls , then used the remaining pattern to layout the galley hatch and then support the headliner. I built the stripper from the inside-out! Call me crazy!! :roll:
I got a lot of mileage from a couple of sheets of luan and a half hour to cut it out, First use. then a few simple trimmings to get the rest of the patterns. Confused yet??? Sorry :oops: I'll use the same method to build the Lil Diner, so I'll do a better job of showing the technique.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Arne » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:52 pm

I cut one piece of plywood. I then put 3 pieces under the cut piece, and drilled a hole at each end and put a 6 penny nail through all pieces, cut and sanded the bottom 3 to fit the top one. When puting the walls together after studding and insulating, I used the nail holes (and nails) to line the pieces up. Discrepancies were minor and easily taken care of with a belt sander.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:56 pm

Steve,

So your "pattern was 1/8" luan? Not 3/4 Plywood. Just looked at your site, is really good. On my little computer could not make out the detail of your hatch seal though. Kind of confussed there. Your tear is absolutly the top of the line. Will be watching very intently to the "Little Diner" as my profile (already cut out of 3/4" X 60" X 120") looks very close. Oh and there is the addition of the 36" galley section. I know it's longer than normal, but then I'm not normal! :lol:
Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Sides

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:03 pm

My plan is to do the lay out on one side and temporary screw the two sides together. Then cut out both sides a little over size and trim them with the router. This should make the sides the same. The only problem is if you make a mistake it will be on both sides. If you need to scrap them, you will loose twice the material. That levees lots of material for the galley, shelves, battery box and exc.. Does any one know how the Woody teardrops finish their sides? Epoxy and glass/ spar varnish or can one just use the spar varnish? What way will give one the least maintenance?
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Marck » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:37 pm

Steve, I absolutly love the way you did your exterior.
I may be hounding you with questions when I get that far along. It looks Excellant!!
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Larwyn » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:37 am

Steve Frederick wrote:For my method of construction, see my site, the pattern was used to cut all the wall pieces. I cut the exterior walls, layed out the bulkheads, cut the interior walls , then used the remaining pattern to layout the galley hatch and then support the headliner. I built the stripper from the inside-out! Call me crazy!! :roll:
I got a lot of mileage from a couple of sheets of luan and a half hour to cut it out, First use. then a few simple trimmings to get the rest of the patterns. Confused yet??? Sorry :oops: I'll use the same method to build the Lil Diner, so I'll do a better job of showing the technique.

Thanks again Steve. I knew there had to be a good reason for having the template. With my limited workspace and lack of shelter I have been trying to limit the number of items I have to put away at the end of each construction day or at the begining of each thunderstorm.... :)

I am working outside, and at times, under an EZ Up. Most of my tools are stored in a Greenlee gangbox and a couple of other large tool boxes. My cheap (disposable?) jobsite table saw, and top of the line DeWalt 12" miter saw are covered with plywood or a tarp for storage. Just finding a large enough space among the tress to erect the EZ Up was a bit of a challenge.... :) This may not sound like much of a "shop" to most, but I really enjoy working outdoors and in most cases manage to get the job done. And if the weather turns sour, It's Guinness Time.!! For the next couple of months other projects are putting the trailer on hold, so in the meantime I keep constructing the camper in my head.

Your construction methods are impressive. I really like the way you installed the headliner from the outside and the way you did your doors. In fact the storage compartment doors on my 5th wheel are constructed much the same as you did yours. I have them facing the fornt, on both sides and on the back of the 5er and never had water get inside whether driving or parked. My router use has been limited to edgeing, and cutting rabbits and dados till now, but I do plan to give your pattern cutting idea a good workout when I get back on the teardrop project. Your input is much apreciated.
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Marck » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:24 am

I am working outside, and at times, under an EZ Up.

Lol That's about all I have. I bought A 10x20 that was on display at the wal-mart I work at. It was blown over and bent, so I got it REALLY cheap. ($50 as opposed to the normal price of $127.00) had to do some repairs but it's one of the heavy duty with 2" pipe for poles etc.

Used to have a 6 bay garage, and a large pole barn equipment building when we had the farm, But... times change and so do finances.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Larwyn » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:51 am

of-thestorm wrote:
I am working outside, and at times, under an EZ Up.

Lol That's about all I have. I bought A 10x20 that was on display at the wal-mart I work at. It was blown over and bent, so I got it REALLY cheap. ($50 as opposed to the normal price of $127.00) had to do some repairs but it's one of the heavy duty with 2" pipe for poles etc.

Used to have a 6 bay garage, and a large pole barn equipment building when we had the farm, But... times change and so do finances.

I had considered getting the 10 by 20 like you have but a few minutes outside with a tape was all I need to realize that I had no 10 by 20 space to put one. Just too much nature in the way for anything larger than the 10 by 10 EZ Up.

I know what you mean by having more space in the past. But I would rather be where I am now than go back to having a "proper" workspace.
It is good to know that everyone building these things does not have a fully equiped woodworking and welding shop. Besides we are only building a trailer (or two), not going into manufacturing them... :D :D

Oh, and that farm experience is what makes us tough enough to handle the outdoor consturction........ :D :D
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:46 pm

Frank, Here's a shot and a drawing of the hatch seal detail. I hope this helps! Enjoy!

Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:31 pm

Yes Steve, that helped a lot, don't see as good anymore and you know how old electricans are (LU 379 - 1971) kind-a hard headed, can't grasp new ideas! :? Looks a lot like the "outback" that Larry did. Will the hurrican hinge work with the sides cut-out like you did. Could not tell if you used one, wouldn't think so as would take away from those pretty wood strips. Myself (not as talented as you, or as ambitious) am planning on using stainless on the top and maybe coldroll on the sides to be painted to match the car, so the hinge would be good.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:00 pm

I did use a hurricane hinge, got it from Grant.
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques