roof skin question for 5'ers

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby jplock » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:44 pm

Julie,
For the roof I used 2 layers of 1/8th inch mahogany luan plywood (to make a true 1/4" thick roof panel (most plywood nowdays is 7/32"). The luan is available at Sutherlands Lumber for $8.00 a sheet. I wet some of it trying to warp it and after having it dry in a bent condition it sprung back straight. The luan seems to be really resistant to being wet. My trailer is 5' 1" wide on the roof. I cut the 4x8 sheets to 4x5'1", then laid them laying with the grain running wall to wall. also the first layer seem was on a different roof spar than the lower seam. Also after putting on the first layer I put a coat of spar varnish on the top layer of luan and on the bottom of the second layer. They were glued together with construction panel adhesive. I am well satisfied with the way it turned out.
Happy TD Building!
jplock
Broken Arrow ,OK

Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:55 pm

Jewel box ... cabin car straps ... hmm.

OKJewel ...

To "cover" your seams, what about lath strips wrapped with shiny ribbon and polyurethaned?

Or, BEFORE you paint, run a belt sander over the seams to flatten, put on a strip of stainless steel tape, and then masking tape down the middle, paint and remove the masking tape to leave a steel strap effect?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques