What a great website!!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

What a great website!!

Postby WarPony » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:04 pm

WOW! What a great site! I had no idea there was this much interest in building and owning these campers! Some beer buddies and I were camping last weekend here in KS and the subject came up about these little, airplane-winged trailers that you could just sleep in that we'd seen on the Travel Channel but nobody could remember the correct name for them. I came home on Sunday and looked on Google until I finally found some hits on "teardrop trailers" and found this site. I built a small, 4 X 6 X 3 enclosed trailer out of plywood and angle iron to store all my camping gear in because I was tired of having it cluttered all over the garage floor. I could just hook up and go!! Now the weather is starting to get to the plywood and it's buckling up on the roof. I had good intentions when I built it to last a long time but my knowledge about trailer building would make a very short book. I know what I'm going to do with the trailer now!! I am a diesel mechanic by trade so tools are my friends. I don't have much woodworking experience so this is pretty intimidating reading all the "industry lingo" on the posts and subjects but will learn them as I go. I belong to a HUGE El Camino organization that's website is set up just like this one so I have been going over the posts that I am interested in and getting VERY useful information from them at ease.
Metal is the media I am used to working with, so wood is a bit of a challange. I'll have to alter my "knuckledragger" mentality to do this project. I've seen so many different designs on this site my head is swimming on what I want. I should probably just stop looking and go with what's in my head.
Keep up all the good work!!!
P.S. I LUUUUUUUUV pictures and drawings!
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Marck » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:13 pm

Welcome to the site.. I am pretty new myself, but I have found out one very important thing about the people on this site, and just about all of the TD sites I have been to.... they are all very friendly and very very helpful when you are looking for answers.

Some of the people I have read posts from simply amaze me here.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Re: What a great website!!

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:33 pm

WarPony wrote:WOW! What a great site! P.S. I LUUUUUUUUV pictures and drawings!

Hey WarPony... so do we... that's why we have so many of em here...

But anyways welcome to the board. Looking forward to hearing more from you... especially since you are a metal worker. Did you say you had a plasma cutter, and were coming thru Michigan soon!.... LOL J.K.

Well, when all the dust settles, let us know what you decided on... and btw, there are other all metal teardrops out there... I think Mike Spicer has one...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby WarPony » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:06 pm

Sorry, Mike. No plasma cutter ( :cry: ) and no planned trip to Meeshigan. I would like to skin mine in sheet metal and paint it white with some KC Chiefs insignia. Kind of a tailgater special. Summers, other than this one, are brutal to camp in around here - low 80's/high humidity(at night!) so the white paint job would work well for me. I go canoeing all over Missouri and Oklahoma and would hate to see a nice aluminum or wood tear get beat up on the gravel roads. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to Rockguard the front and paint over it to keep the dings from showing so easily. Just like my El Camino, I will use this alot and often.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby R Keller » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:25 am

War Pony:

Just a thought: you can get .040" aluminum sheet pre-painted white (baked enamel finish- very glossy and easy to clean) at up to 5x10' from sign supply companies. I did my roof and hatch with this stuff.

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques