Raindrop Unveiled (really)

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Postby Camp-Inns New Guy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:57 pm

Stealth,

My Tow vehicle Is A 94 Geo Prizm That I Tow Our Camp-inns With, It Looks Kind Of Funny Sometimes Like When I Tow A Offroad Model(just ask Cary) The Most Toung Weight I have Had Was About 175lb And The Raindrop If I remember Right Is 190lb so I'll Have To Let You Know How Well The Prizm Does Once I hook It Up

-Cameron
"Never Blame The New Guy"
Camp-Inns New Guy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BoilermakerFan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:12 pm

The Jetta hitch is rated for a max of 200lbs tongue weight and 2,000lb trailer, but I don't think I would push it. The trailer hitch bolts through the spare tire well.

I have a 2000 Jetta V6 and a 2004 Audi A4; both use the same style hitch, but the Audi is limited to 150lbs/1500lbs.

I would recommend trailer brakes on any trailer towed by a Jetta, it's a very light car and braking could be hairy without trailer brakes.
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Postby Woody » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:10 pm

kurtibm
Ya what I'm saying about the Cylon reference
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:22 pm

Woody wrote:kurtibm
Ya what I'm saying about the Cylon reference

...it does bear a strong resemblance to the old "tin heads"
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:24 pm

Chupa.......Cabra
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Nice!

Postby CheshyreKatt » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:40 pm

:thumbsup:

Sure you aren't working with Andrew over in the UK on this?

Great design....love the seating in the front. My wife and I are envious, yet, when I finally get to start design and build of my own (house first...must get house first), we may have to examine your innovation!
-CK

Truth is not what you seek....it is what you find. What you find...is not what you were looking for.
CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby anonymous2 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:42 pm

Hey Cary,

The other CI was bought in Maine,buy a couple{Rick & Peg} from Vermont. The have retired,and may tour the US . They may even come see us in Mountville for a few days. We offered space in our parking lot,or yard. Hey, Where did you get my sketch of my teardrop design{still on paper} ? Mine is similar but contains a large front storage area {drivers side} & porta potty area { passengers side},4 doors with drop floor so your legs can touch the ground. I am getting tired of loading,and unloading truck , so I can go kayaking. I don't like all my kayaking/camping gear left in the truck bed ,while I am kayaking in some remote areas. With the large storage area where you have sofa I can keep it all at camp. Any chance of a large custom storage area in place of that sofa area{no windows needed in front}? Call it a Sportsman version ? I will scan my drawing and send it to you. Joan & I love the sofa,and the new design. This may mean If have to build a second garage ! Nice work as always.

pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:03 pm

Scott,

Hey, that was me you talked to before. I remember checking out your hiperf TDI stuff and getting some of the guys here all excited about it.

We have a guy here with a TDI Jetta. He has pulled a well equipped 550 with it and it worked out really really well.

As Cameron indicated though the tongue weight gets up close to 190lb on a trailer this size. I suspect it will be more than I can recommend for a Jetta (or for Cameron's Prism either).

The biggest downside to the whole Raindrop idea is that is will shorten the list of good tow vehicles considerably. Pretty much light pickups and SUVs will probably be the recommended vehicles of choice. It is no longer a 1000lb trailer like our other tears allowing nearly anything to tow it.

Bill,

What kind of gear do you want to stow? Is it very heavy? My concern would be filling that area with stuff and messing up the tongue weight completely. It is awfully far forward to be piling up stuff. Your Tacoma would handle more than most but you would still want to be resonable.

What if it was a storage locker box that slid in through the doors and locked into the forward sofa area? The sofa does come right out so you could slide this in and pin into the sockets where the upper bunk pin into. One more function all in the same unit, very cool. There could be something to this. Then if you are not on a kayak trip you pull out the stowage locker and pop the sofa back in.

This would make for a good 560 extra option. There are a couple of options in the works just for this model already. Wait until you all see the nifty little swing away TV tables for the sofa area. They are cool.

Cary
Last edited by Cary Winch on Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Aussieholdenfan » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:07 pm

YOU GUS ROCK!

been studying your website for ages now and have been blown away at the quality of teardrop and design! now with the new Raindrop! WOW!!!

You really need to get an Australian Distributor!

Cheers
Matt

Check out my Old Holdens here!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/e ... ay/FJ2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/e ... 0_0470.jpg
Aussieholdenfan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cary Winch » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:17 pm

Matt,

I am always amazed at how many Australians dig on our trailers. Like you said we should have a dealer there, I have even been talking to one fellow about it. You guys down there could buy direct from us, it would just be better if you could get a couple of friends to buy them at the same time. We could then fill a container for you and make the shipping cheap.

I did indeed check out those Holdens. Looks like they are very sweet and tricked out with all the little goodies. Nice touch. You do realize of course that you are sitting a couple of excellant teardrop tow vehicles? I highly recommend those for Raindrop tow vehicles (hint hint).

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby anonymous2 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:53 pm

Hi Cary,

I thought about the locker box,but I don't want to sleep with my smelly kayaking gear{ask any kayaker/canoeist} or BBQ grill,etc. A walled off front section storage area accessed by one or two doors would work better. Nothing special inside,just plywood for durability{well maybe a fan & light} Even a recessed floor box could accommendate at porta-pottie. Some travel trailers now offer "garages" for carrying camping gear & bikes. You are right about tongue weight,but this model could appeal to SUV,and truck owners with 300# + tongue capacities. I would like to buy a recumbent trike,and would like to put the stuff I put in the truck bed somewhere else to haul the trike. Just a thought. We will be following the RainDrop progress closely.

pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:40 pm

For those who were wondering why I wasn't at Minden. There is good news. My wife and I had a little girl named Jillian born to us at about 3:00 this morning. All is well.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:41 pm

Congrats Cary...

You've done well... a new trailer and a new daughter... 8)

When do we get to see a picture of the little one?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BoilermakerFan » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:07 pm

mikeschn wrote:Congrats Cary...

You've done well... a new trailer and a new daughter... 8)

When do we get to see a picture of the little one?

Mike...

In the Raindrop!

:applause: Congrats Cary!
BoilermakerFan
Teardrop Master

Postby Betsey » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:06 pm

For those who were wondering why I wasn't at Minden. There is good news. My wife and I had a little girl named Jillian born to us at about 3:00 this morning. All is well.

Cary

Aw, come on Cary, Craig & I got home from Minden at 2:00am this morning so you would have had an hour to make it to the hospital...plenty of time! :lol:

Seriously, although we missed having you with us at Minden, you were where you really needed to be. Craig told me the good news when he got home from work...Congratulations!

Betsey
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers