Ahhhhh...the joys of the NFPA 1192!

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Ahhhhh...the joys of the NFPA 1192!

Postby legacytrailer » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:21 pm

So, getting a great education meeting the requirement of the regulations. Has anyone run into the size of the door issue as well as the flammability of the mattress, curtains, walls, cabinets etc. that the RVIA require in order to pass their inspection and get the sticker? It appears they specify the alternative exits, but not necessarily the standard exits. Any help would be great.
legacytrailer
Teardrop Builder

fed regs or rvia?

Postby Steve Nikkel » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:50 pm

I'm not involved on this but I remember the days when OSHA was new and thought they were all knowing. Being a Structural Ironworker I remember the joys of being cited for not being tied off with the "approved" 6ft lanyard while connecting. (thats recieving the steel beams from the ground and inserting the first 2 bolts on each end) We finally insisted the senior inspector sit at a 6ft off the ground connection point while the crane operator took his signals and swung a 800lb small beam for him to catch and align with 2 spud wrenches........the wind caught it and it started a slow spin....with only 4ft of slack on his lanyard, he couldn't get any move room....needless to say it swept him into the hole. With only 6 ft elevation he wasn't hurt. We then said next test was 8 stories up and 8 ton steel beams.........OSHA amended` the regs for "Connectors".
The whole point of this story is get the inspecting agency to realize 10 ft and under is a whole different world than the mobile HOTELS they seem to think are the only RV's being made.
Steve Nikkel

I'm Draggin-----Draggin the Main once more
With a Peroxide Blonde in a hopped up model Ford.
(Brian Setzer)
Steve Nikkel
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers