Big Woody Campers

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Big Woody Campers

Postby KristinU » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:59 pm

Does anyone know anything about Big Woody Campers? Their tears look almost exactly like what DH and I have in mind...for just a bit more than the price we estimated after our little fact-finding/estimating outing to Lowe's yesterday (got the spreadsheet to prove it!), plus pre-made would save us from not parking in our garage for as long as it would take us to build (not to mention, it might save our marriage if we buy ;)...a rented tile saw once saved our marriage...) There are a few mods we'd want to do, like put on awesome fenders and add a sling bunk for DS, or they also sell a "U-Finish" model that we'd finish altogether ourselves.

Anyway, I e-mailed them for more info but thought I'd ask around here as well.

TIA!

Kristin
KristinU
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:03 pm

Never heard of 'em so I had to look it up:

http://www.bigwoodycampers.com/index.htm

It looks like they built on Harbor Freight trailers.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby SaGR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:59 pm

I recognize a couple of the photos, is it a member owned business?
Building a small bowtop Vardo
Build thread: http://tinyurl.com/yk4hnmd

Generic Benroy: Sold to FIL/MIL
SaGR
The 300 Club

Postby KristinU » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:36 am

Oh, duh, a link would have been helpful, huh? :?

Well, I heard back form Dave at Big Woody Campers (love the name..DH and I have been having a lot of fun with that one!) Anyway, they are traditional 4x8 tears...which I think would be a pretty tight squeeze for our little crew. We have me and DH, our 3 year old DS (who we plan to continue to feed, so we need to factor in some growth), and our first baby - a 70 lb. lab. We really want to incorporate a sling bunk cross-wise like JMTK's in the Hall of Fame...and I feel like we will need a 5' wide to do that.

Hmmm...
KristinU
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joseph » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:29 am

Hey, who would't want a Big Woody? :lol:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby sid » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 am

Check with sems, they bought a 5x8 cargo version unfinished inside, and call Keith Horton in Ohio with Yoder Toter (330-852-4811). I don't know where you are located, so that may be a problem.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby KristinU » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:29 am

Joseph wrote:Hey, who would't want a Big Woody? :lol:

Joseph

Right...that sounds just like the banter that has been going on at our house all weekend! :lol:
KristinU
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KristinU » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:37 am

sid wrote:Check with sems, they bought a 5x8 cargo version unfinished inside, and call Keith Horton in Ohio with Yoder Toter (330-852-4811). I don't know where you are located, so that may be a problem.

Thanks Sems, I think I'm leaning back towards a Yoder 5x10...I just like the vintage look of the Big Woody better. I know, I know...we really should give building a shot...then we could have exactly what we want, right??? I just keep waffling...and the thought of not having our garage for who-knows-how-long during the winter is not helping.

We're in Connecticut, I guess I should add that to my info at the left. We're also due to take a road trip to Minneapolis one of these years, so I was thinking that a summer trip in '08 to pick up a tear somewhere on the way would be a good incentive to head back to visit family. Yoder is only 10 hours away from us, and Big Woody is somewhere in WI or IL I think...which would definitely fit with a summer trip plan. Really, anything OH, PA, IN, IL, IA, WI, MN would be convenient...and of course anywhere in the North East aside from a road trip to MN.
KristinU
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sid » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:10 pm

We picked up our Yoder Toter last August. It is a quality built trailer at a decent price. I spent a whole winter without our garage when we built our first one. Well, the convertible was in there, but it is ALWAYS in there, expcept for those beautiful days!

I think the cargo model may be what you are looking for, especially the 5x10 that you can set it up inside like you want. I also think you will be happy with the 14 inch wheels. Ours pulls like a dream.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby KristinU » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Thanks Sid! I have another question for you on Yoders...but I'm going to ask it over on the Yoder thread.

Cheers!
Kristin
KristinU
Teardrop Inspector

Big Woody Teardrop

Postby gypsy97 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:57 pm

I'd like to resurrect this topic, please. I have been studying all the websites I can find for teardrop campers, and I keep going back to the Big Woody. Most of the posts in the teardrop manufacturers list are about the Lil Guy, but since this particular subject hasn't been responded to for a few years, I wonder if there is more info on Big Woody available now. Thanks.

Gypsy
gypsy97
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Louie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:59 am

Hello Gypsy,

I'm new here but I purchased CD of plans from Big Woody Campers. It's a very comprehensive set of building plans. If you like their Teardrop profile design, make sure you order the CD plans with a complete set of paper templates.

There are a lot of helpful suggestions to avoid pitfalls and I like way the doors and hatch are sealed. Check it out.

Louie
Louie
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers