Back after a hiatus and wondering

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Back after a hiatus and wondering

Postby CheshyreKatt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 am

Hello all. Well, my wife and I just spent 2 seasons in a Coleman popup trailer, and we've decided to sell it and go teardrop.

We've been looking at a Little Guy 6-Wide (read through sandman's thread and success) as we have a couple of dealers very close and my wife wants a base set of features.

My question revolves around other manufacturers' teardrops and whether there are others that are 6 ft wide. We really need the king bed!

Thanks in advance,

ck
-CK

Truth is not what you seek....it is what you find. What you find...is not what you were looking for.
CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary K » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:03 am

There are T@B's. http://www.tab-rv.com/

Very Nice and Standies too but Pricey. I like them but could never afford one.

Good Luck in your search.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby CheshyreKatt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:04 am

I've looked at T@B, and you are right on both counts. Our biggest reason for going with a traditional TD is size. Right now, our popup chews up all of our garage. We want some of that room back while still having our camper easily accessible at our townhouse (no outside storage). The other factor is weight. Our current popup weighs 3500 lbs dry. It is challenging for two sedentary 40 yr olds to move ;) and my wife's number one desire is to be able to move it around by hand easily.

So, a standard TD that is wider is perfect.

I'm asking about other manufacturers because:
    1. I just don't have the space, tools or time to build my own (REALLY would like a Kampmaster with a king bed)
    2. My wife would really like an upgraded galley (Little Guy is a bit spartan)

We're 4 months out of the beginning of our camping season here in WA...hopefully it'll be a dryer season this year.
-CK

Truth is not what you seek....it is what you find. What you find...is not what you were looking for.
CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby grant whipp » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:37 pm

So, CK ...

... if you really like the KampMaster, why don't you get one of the custom builders to make you one? I realize that it's not going to be as economical as buying a Little Guy, but you'll be able to get what you really want and you'll be happy with it for a whole lot longer ... :thinking: ...!

You might also have to wait a bit longer (like maybe use your pop-out for another season), but again, you'll be getting what you really want and not settling for just what's availabel "off the lot" ...

Good Luck, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby NW_Subie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:13 pm

What type of features are you looking for? Little Guy is offering a 4x8 and 5x8 Shadow series by Yoder Toter this year. Has some nice extras.

http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/images/d ... series.pdf

Seaview Chevy in Lynnwood had the Yoder Toter line last year and I would assume will have it again. Seem to sell faster than the Little Guy models.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby CheshyreKatt » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Grant - you are quite correct in that we could "survive" another popup year. My wife's desire for more galley is not critical IMHO...she and I disagree on this :D If you could see what my brother in law puts up when we camp...oh my...our camp kitchen is better than some apartments I've lived in! We are at a point we know we can't continue the pop-up...just too big (my wife also wants a good and easy bug-out scenario). By the way, I've visited your site in my research over the years...you put out a seriously quality product!

NW_subie - Our big need (or mine I should say) is a big sleeping area. Thus the 6-wide LG is good. I'm 6'1" and 250, and I LIKE my bed space :D My wife is a bit easer, as she is 5'2". We MIGHT make it in a 5' wide TD...provided it was long enough to let me stretch. We plan on hitting Seaview next weekend to view the LG first hand. It will give us the touch/feel moment to determine if LG will work, or if we'll look for another manufacturer. The Shadow's are quite nice...I've seen them on the LG site. It will work for us if the sleeping area is right. The current popup has king beds...hard to give that up 8)
-CK

CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NW_Subie » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:23 pm

I don't find my LG galley platform much good for anything but storage. I store food on it and cook on a folding table. The Shadow series looks like it has a nice galley. Much more usable.

http://tinyurl.com/3x7yxx

The 4x8 works for me and my S.O. She's about your wife's size, but I'm not a big guy. I think you might find the 5x8 workable. Depends if you can live with a queen bed and the length is okay. You might also consider one of Ed Ester's (Burien, WA) 5x8 custom builds. His look really nice.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/553626853.html

There's a 5x10 Freedom Teardrop that I looked at last year in SE Portland. It's overpriced and would need a good cleaning, but if the guy was really ready to deal it might work. IIRC, the Freedom doors are bigger and it has plenty of length.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/558692981.html
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby CheshyreKatt » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:57 am

The Shadow is definitely nice. Though it sounds like there was a falling out between Yoter Toder folk and Little Guy.

Thanks for the links. I've seen Ed's work on the forum...and he is an amazing craftsman. The Freedom seems to be hard to find a site for these days.

Once we get in front of a physical LG (we're going to Seaview next weekend) I'll know whether a 5 ft wide will be enough and whether my wife needs more. Their site doesn't show the Shadow line in inventory...so I'm not sure we'll get that level of comparison.
-CK

CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dreadcptflint » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:20 pm

I would ask some of the local builders what it would take for them to build a six foot wide trailer for you. (There are a couple in Western Washington). There are a few out there that are doing some good things with wood. It will allow you to get exactly what you want.

It's good to see that you guys are still out camping.

:thumbsup:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grant whipp » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:27 pm

CheshyreKatt wrote:Grant -
... By the way, I've visited your site in my research over the years...you put out a seriously quality product!

Thanks for the kind words, CK! I endevor to build the best quality products I can ... :D

If I can help you with any thing during your teardrop quest, please don't hesitate to ask! As always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:29 pm

I'm hoping to build a 5'x10' TD like the profile in my signature line some time this year. This time I want to make a Woodie. It will probably be insulated only in the roof to keep the weight & price down. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby CheshyreKatt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:16 am

dreadcptflint - Hey there Cappin! How's daddyhood treating you!

Yeah...we'll see what Jules says when we see the LG. Kind of thinking we might use it as a "template" to do some custom work on over time as well. If she doesn't end up liking it, then we'll explore other options.

Say hi to S for us!
-CK

CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CheshyreKatt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:17 am

grant whipp wrote:Thanks for the kind words, CK! I endevor to build the best quality products I can ... :D

That's all we can ever do. Thanks for the sage advice and offer for more in the future!
-CK

CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CheshyreKatt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:21 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:I'm hoping to build a 5'x10' TD like the profile in my signature line some time this year. This time I want to make a Woodie. It will probably be insulated only in the roof to keep the weight & price down. :) Danny

I have contemplated as well a So-Cal kit. I have a HUGE desire to build it myself...but don't have the tools et.al. to do all of the work. If the LG doesn't work out, I might try to persuade my wife for options like So-Cal or Grant's 'drops.
-CK

CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:22 am

CheshyreKatt wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:I'm hoping to build a 5'x10' TD like the profile in my signature line some time this year. This time I want to make a Woodie. It will probably be insulated only in the roof to keep the weight & price down. :) Danny

I have contemplated as well a So-Cal kit. I have a HUGE desire to build it myself...but don't have the tools et.al. to do all of the work. If the LG doesn't work out, I might try to persuade my wife for options like So-Cal or Grant's 'drops.

I wont be keeping this one for us. I plan on making at least one a year to sell on the used market. ;) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers