Little Guy 6W Sport: Impressions please.

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Little Guy 6W Sport: Impressions please.

Postby CD1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:25 am

I am new to camping and TD, love this forum. I also enjoy sea kayaking, with boats that are 17-18 feet long. I would like to transport my kayaks on the TD, and after careful considration, think the LG Sport with five foot front platform may serve me well--I can fit tall bars on the front platform that would hold my kayaks up above the cab, allowing transport without interfering with the hatch opening or having to install roof racks. Additionally, the platform area underneath the kayaks could be for bikes, luggage, et cetera.

Please provide me your opinions of the LGs in general, and for anyone that has the Sport, impressions. Pics very welcome. I think this Forum does not have a Reviews section. I have done some Forum searches.

My impressions are that the LGs are fairly basic and have a "mass produced" feel. Are they watertight? I am concened about the back hatch area, where some have experienced water ingress. It is also not very well adapted with cabinets and components, it seems fairly spartan. And opens elements to the bed area, from what I read.

Anyone think that 1400 lb dry weight and 8 foot spread (outer tire to outer tire) is excessive?

LG options--which are suggested. Some do not come with elecyrical hookups, I may need to, if I buy used, wire myself. ouch!

Any impressions of LG and LG Sport would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great week. Steve CD1 Illinois
CD1
Gold Donating Member

Postby NW_Subie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Car rack works better for me. Here's my setup.

No issues with water. Little Guy builds a nice product. Pretty basic but it meets my needs. Not sure I'd feel comfortable towing a 6-wide on some of the narrow NW roads. Probably just take time to feel comfortable.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby Pdbeta » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 am

We have the LG six wide, which is the Sport sans the platform up front.

We went XC last year, some 10K miles R/T w/o incident nor leaks. The back hatch gasket material "can move" in extreme heat, so watch and adjust, its moves back into place easily.

Options: We have the LG trifold mattress and its very good. 33 nites on the matress with just turning it over. We passed on using an air mattress.

If your going where its hot?
Please get the Fantastic Vent/12v battery.
This year we will use a 110v "petcool"(110v/when useable) and fingers are crossed? Four wide, or wider, when its hot outside, it's hot inside. I'm talking heat over 95 degree's.

We use a simple Walmart ceramic heater($12.00) in cold climes, w/tip over switch and thermostat, its great, and light weight.
We did a simple 110v AC wiring plug thru the left rear panel w/surge protector for our simple needs(drip coffee/toaster/heater). They are not run all at once.
We also added a small shelf under the cabinet, which slides forward and resides under the cabinet when not in use. That holds the DVD player, since replaced with a laptop computer.

Galley is spartan but no need paying for something you do not like or use? For the long haul, lighter for us, is better for us.

It took about three towing hours to get used to the extra width, as the six wide, exceeds eight feet, fender to fender. The six wide shines when sleeping! Absolutely worth the extra bucks for the extra feet, vs four or five, especially if one of you loves to eat?
It tracks straight and true and was a joy to tow, even for first timers like the Princess & I.
Good luck, choose wisely!
P
Pdbeta
Teardrop Master

Postby xomthood » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 pm

We like our Little Guy 5 wide. It resides outside throughout the rainy winter months and has never leaked.

How well does the Forester pull that Little Guy?
xomthood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NW_Subie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:46 pm

xomthood wrote:We like our Little Guy 5 wide. It resides outside throughout the rainy winter months and has never leaked.

How well does the Forester pull that Little Guy?

Forester is a great tow vehicle. The auto is rated at 2400 lbs so the LG is no problem. IIRC, I was getting 24 MPG on that trip to S. Oregon & California where the picture was taken. The kayak had more of an effect on mileage than the LG.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby deserthawk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:33 pm

We own a 6 wide sport and a 4 wide classic as well as numerous vintage tears. The Sport is handy for hauling extra equipment but the extra weight on the tongue makes it not practical for pulling by smaller vehicles. Ours weighs 1500 lbs with a few additions and the tongue weight feels to be around 400lbs. We actually use our trailers year round so I have noticed that the thin fiberglass sheeting which covers the 3/4" plywood body is begining to blister in the Arizona heat on the Sport. I am afraid that these areas will eventually leak if we ever get any rain around here :roll: There is also a problem with the sides separating from the floor in some areas. These trailers are built for short vacations and are fine if sheltered in a garage most of the year.

The teardrops manufactured using aluminum siding have much better logevity and are more road worthy. Get one of these and you will have years of trouble free camping.
NEW - ITG Photos 2009
http://www.emuranch.com/ft/itg/galleryitg.cfm

IRG Photos 2008 http://www.emuranch.com/ft/irg/galleryirg.cfm

"It's not where you are that counts....It's where you're at." Full Time Teardroper 810 Continuous Days living out of my TD as of 8/15/2010
deserthawk
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers