Little Guy 6'-wide teardrop

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Postby hiker chick » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 pm

I just now looked at LG's website for the first time in a long while. Chris Baum has a video up comparing the new 5 and 6-wides. They're making a lot of refinements -- including new doors!

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/index.php

If I had it to do again, I'd get a 5-wide. Less to pull, easier to store. The only reason I have a 6-wide is to sleep sideways and let Gidget have the windows.

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby arthuruscg » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 am

hiker chick wrote:
arthuruscg wrote:There are none in MD. Unfortunately with having the new baby and the necessary home improvement to do, I can't afford a new 6wide.

Paint your subie Galapagos Green Metallic and mine would match perfectly!

My wife likes the color of your little guy and Element. We might vinyl wrap ours when we finally get one.

Luckily I can park it my parents bc they use to have a 27ft trailer and there is nice level spot that i can pull through to park it. There is even a 30a plug there.
arthuruscg
Teardrop Builder

Postby hopefully » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:23 pm

It took me a couple times, but I just got done reading your entire post. very informative! Thanks.

:applause:

I have spent the past 2 years researching pop-ups, teardrops, scotty/scamps etc. I just put $$$ down on a 5 wide rough rider, cant believe i'm actually going through with it. :shock: Picking it up next month, now I just cant wait 'til summer. Plan on spending ALOT of time in it this summer! woohoo :D
hopefully
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hiker chick » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:45 pm

hopefully wrote:It took me a couple times, but I just got done reading your entire post. very informative! Thanks.

:applause:

I have spent the past 2 years researching pop-ups, teardrops, scotty/scamps etc. I just put $$$ down on a 5 wide rough rider, cant believe i'm actually going through with it. :shock: Picking it up next month, now I just cant wait 'til summer. Plan on spending ALOT of time in it this summer! woohoo :D

Rough Rider -- very cool! What will you be pulling it with? Going into the boonies?

I'm hoping to get mine out this spring. Spent this weekend in the mountains, in a cabin, and checked on my teardrop on the way home. Changed the Damp Rid out and it is in good shape.

It's raring to go somewhere!

:thumbsup:

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hopefully » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma (4door short bed w/tow pkg). I originally bought it just for road trips (we too, travel with our dogs :) ), shuttle vehicle for kayaking and mtb'ing. After our initial x-country trip summer '09, I found expeditionportal.com and have been researching how to travel better. Pop-ups, flip tops, RTT, etc have all been considerations but I have always been swayed towards teardrops even though I never saw one.

This summer we are planning another Colorado adventure. Plus I have a couple acres a mile from where I work during the summer (school teacher/river guide). Last summer I lived out of the back of my truck, this summer will be out of the teardrop. Not to mention some various WV camping/hiking trips, maybe a whitewater river festival here and there, I pretty sure I will get my $$$ out of it. :thinking:

Being a teacher/river guide, this is a HUGE investment for me. :?

Do you know how many miles you have on yours? What kind of upkeep is involved? I am unfamiliar with the torsion axle set-up that is on the lil'guy trailers.
hopefully
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hiker chick » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 am

hopefully wrote:Last summer I lived out of the back of my truck, this summer will be out of the teardrop. Not to mention some various WV camping/hiking trips, maybe a whitewater river festival here and there, I pretty sure I will get my $$$ out of it. :thinking:

Being a teacher/river guide, this is a HUGE investment for me. :?

Do you know how many miles you have on yours? What kind of upkeep is involved? I am unfamiliar with the torsion axle set-up that is on the lil'guy trailers.

I'd guess I have a couple thousand miles on mine (it's in storage near where we usually camp). I haven't done any upkeep other than tire inflation, storing it so the tires rest on rubber mats rather than directly on concrete, and always having Damp Rid inside when not being used.

I probably should have the wheels checked. While my teardrops mileage is low, I'm not sure how much time can safely elapse before the bearings are greased.

Finding that out just went on the to-do list....

Do you live in WV or VA? Virginia's Douthat State Park is my favorite place to take my inflatable kayak (really more of a canoe). And we were at Shenandoah River State Park this last weekend -- brand new (2010) campground there -- with electric hookups.

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hopefully » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Keep me posted what your mechanic says about your wheel bearings. Just curious.

"Do you live in WV or VA?" - Niether, I am in southwestern Pa. :)
hopefully
Teardrop Inspector

Postby deceiver » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:26 pm

Regarding the wheel bearings. I have a 2006 little guy sport 6 wide. I looked it up someplace. Can't remember where but it was about these trailers. They said that greasing of wheels should be every 2000 miles.

If yours is like mine its extremely easy. Cap over the wheel hub comes off and there's a soft rubber cap that is removed with a screwdriver. A grease gun fitting is under it. The bearing has a hollow chamber about 4" long and 1" wide. I use 5-6 pumps of the gun to fill it. Regular front end grease. I asked a trailer mechanic. Good for another 2000. When we did our 12,000 mile cross country loop I had it done when I did oil changes. It took them 15 minutes and after the first time it takes me 15 minutes too. Easy job.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Re: Little Guy 6'-wide teardrop

Postby dadsbuckshot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 pm

New to the forum and need help... :D

I am looking to purchase my first LG 6-wide by the end of the month. I am scheduled to pick it up on 3/31/12. Anyhow, my wife and I keep having reservations about the pending sale due to 1 question - will it be large enough for us? My wife is a small woman and I am your typical male (6 feet tall - 240lbs etc..) and we have a 2 going on 3 year old son. The LG 6-wide seems to fit our needs well, but will it be large enough for us 3 and if so for how long? Right now, with my son still being young will sleep with us when we are on vacation at a hotel (in a king bed) and it is plenty large enough, but can I use the same principal for the 6-wide? He sleeps in a small childs bed at home and my wife and I have a queen - so in my mind add his and ours = King size bed :roll:

Please help - info - advice - etc.... We have already placed a ourchase down payment as it was a 2011 new model closeout on a really good deal and I didn't want someone else buying it out from under us, but it was a spur of the moment deal without alot of planning. This is mine in a week or so: http://chilhoweerv.rvusa.com/2011-littl ... tn-i237960

Help me feel good or bad about the purchase - because the size really concerns me for my family of 3 :frightened:

I have never owned a camper in my life to add to it all - only tent camping.
Thanks to everyone in advance :applause:
dadsbuckshot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Lancie49 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 am

These are questions you probably should have asked a month ago and certainly before you spent any money.
Spend more time in the sales yard and crawl all over, under in and out of that TD and get a feel for it.
Lay in it, with the little lady, and see just how much room there is for restlessness.
Can you roll over without crushing the Missus ?
Can she breath if you move a little over the halfway line ?
Does it have 2 doors for easy entry and exit ?
These are things only you two can determine. You've gotta spend some time in it.

Are you locked into the purchase now ?
Do you have time to rent a similar unit before accepting delivery ?

Lance
Lance & Anne
Completing a Project
TD Stubby
Lancie49
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dadsbuckshot » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Well Lance - those are not options that I had at the time. If the dealership was down the road about 30 minutes and not up the road 200+ miles then I guess I could have taken more time in the decision process, but they were running a internet special for about $3000 off the list price - so it was a limited time offer with only 1 unit left on the lot so I had to act or not have at all....

We don't have the option to rent around here either - little guy dealers are not that numerous in my area nor are rental campers. Also, my wife and I have been in one before etc... and it is not a blind purchase, but what is a blind issue was my original question ---- Will a 6 wide sleep my wife and I plus a 3 year old? --- I know a 5 wide will sleep me and her, but the last time we look at one about 3-4 years ago we didn't have a child so I have to ask the question.

Thank you to anyone that can help with this particular model and question.
dadsbuckshot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby deceiver » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:23 pm

I own a little guy 6 wide sport. I'm a big guy and the wife and I sleep comfortably on a queen size mattress in the camper. It will hold a king size. Decide on the size mattress you'd like, queen or king and check one out at a mattress store. Maybe you've got one that size at home already. If it seems like it will work at home then it will work in the camper. It will be cozy as you are in a confined space but the bed size will tell you the rest.

BTW, we have one of those spa miracle foam mattresses from walmart. (special order online). It's great and can be squished to get it in the door. And it sleeps very well. We have the 8" one.
Conform and be dull.
deceiver
The 300 Club

Postby dadsbuckshot » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks for the reply - I will look into that :thinking:
dadsbuckshot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Somewhere I saw a teardrop with kiddy bunkbeds on one side and I think mom and dad slept on a double mattress. Think it was a camp in tear, maybe someone can find the one I am thinking of.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:25 am

A king size bed is 6'4" wide so how could it fit in only something 6 ft wide and standard length is 80" long on queen and king both which is just shy of 7 ft long and I've seen LG no way that will fit in them.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers