Little Guy Trailers, My Impression

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Little Guy Trailers, My Impression

Postby Franklin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:59 pm

We saw a 5 foot Little Guy Teardrop a couple weeks ago. It was cute but there were some things that I didn't understand/like. I didn't like that matted whisker hair lining on the inside - 3 layers; laminate, plywood, and matted whisker hair. The other things which I could not figure out was why when you open the back there is a gap, relatively large that you can see the mattress inside the trailer and I am thinking about bugs crawling in there and me spilling something when trying to use the table in the back and was disappointed that the back end really didn't have much storage. I guess after looking at all the wonderful photos of the handcrafted teardrops on the website....Cathy
Franklin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hiker chick » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:05 pm

If you have the talent, tools, space and inclination, hand-crafted is the way to go. Custom-fit, uniquely yours. That would be the ultimate.

There is an ongoing thread about finishing off a Little Guy interior with custom cabintry, galley, etc.

I custom-ordered my Little Guy precisely because I didn't want carpet on the walls (I have a very hairy white dog) and preferred the space to the cabinets or galley.

I wonder if anyone likes the LG galley. Seems a glaring shortcoming. LG is now selling a line of teardrops that do not have the galley gap you speak of.

I'd like to see a Camp Inn in person someday. I've so built them up in my mind I wonder if they will meet the expectation.

Happy shopping.

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Hey, I will be the first to admit that I don't like Little Guy. I do however like the teardrop design. Everyone's taste is different. It is kind of like the drip coffee and lattes. Not everyone who likes lattes will like drip coffee.

The big questions are what do you like in a trailer and how are you going to get it?It took my wife over six months of seeing different trailers to know that she wanted one that had a storage place for water.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Little Guy Trailers,My ImWepression

Postby scott and becky » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 pm

We went to a gathering of teardrops at the end March.It looked like so much fun!Without knowing anything about trailers, we bouhgt a new 6' wide Little Guy Sport a week later!
Overall we love our Little Guy! It's hard to believe there is a king size bed in it! I like the look of the carpet in mine. Some dealers will let you rent a trailer so you can get an idea of what it's like before you buy.

Scott
Last edited by scott and becky on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never get lost..there's just some times I don't know where I'm at!

scott and becky
Teardrop Master

Postby 07rascal » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:15 pm

We decided to buy instead of build for our first one to get a good idea on what we would want and what is not necessary in a home built for a future project. We posses all the tools and I think ability to tackle a build. But that is the reason we decided to buy.

Our LG Rascal was the option we chose for the weight and size of the unit alone. We tow with a small Ford Focus 4 cyl and with $4 soon to be $5 a gallon gas our 30+ mpg towing was a necessity.

We love the Rascal, two of us and a small dog have as much room as we need it it. The galley is minimal but we added racks, and totes for storage and it works fine for us. The dreaded gap at the end of the counter was solved with a "bug stopper" snap in position flap. Its in our Album for those interested in it. We wired it with 12v and 110v lights and 12v accessory ports for a small TV or radio. Its just what we wanted in a TD. Its not an RV and we did not want one. (Been there and done that with all the microwaves, AC's, water heaters, DVD's, on and on and on). We towed at 8-10mpg for a few years and parked with the RV crowd hooked up the cable TV at $25/night site rent and stood out like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. Not for us.

We desired to get back to a simpler type of camping where you jugged your water, used the facilities that mother nature gave us when no others are available and cooked over a camp stove on a picnic table and ate in your lawn chairs while swatting bugs! We tent camped for years and the LG Rascal is a Hilton in comparison! Its build quality exceeds most stapled together RV's that we have seen and it tows beautifully behind our Focus. The guys at LG have been great to deal with and we would buy another from them in a heartbeat.

:thumbsup:

Terry & Lisa
Terry & Lisa
--------------------------------
From our LG Rascal to the Cabin-A.....The LG found a good home!

"When employed, live like your unemployed....so that when your unemployed you can live like your employed!!"

07rascal
Teardrop Master

Postby Jason and Amanda » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:09 am

I just wanted to add that the LG silver shadow line has a nice galley and the living space is sealed off from it completely. You must get the silver shadow line for this option though. It comes complete with A/C outlets, couter space, cabinets, and shelves though, and a vinyl floor, it's quite nice.
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby mrchuc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:50 am

Hi Terry and Lisa,

07rascal wrote:We desired to get back to a simpler type of camping

That is exactly what Denice and I wanted to do. We chose the Little Guy Platform for the same reasons you chose the Rascal. Though ours is a little heavier than yours, we manage to tow it with our Focus quite easily. We just got back from Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas. On the return trip we averaged 32.5 mpg! Needless to say, we were very happy! :lol:

07rascal wrote:The dreaded gap at the end of the counter was solved with a "bug stopper" snap in position flap. Its in our Album for those interested in it.

What a simple solution! I have been pondering how to address this. I was thinking of a removable or openable wooden barrier. While the opening there is a problem concerning bugs and dropped items, it is also VERY handy for making the foot of the bed! :thumbsup:

You describe the bug shield as a "snap-in". Can you tell a little more about how you attached it? After I saw it, I was thinking of using velcro. What do you think?
Rolling lightly upon the Earth,

Chuc
mrchuc
Teardrop Master

Postby 07rascal » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:00 pm

mrchuc wrote:
What a simple solution! I have been pondering how to address this. I was thinking of a removable or openable wooden barrier. While the opening there is a problem concerning bugs and dropped items, it is also VERY handy for making the foot of the bed! :thumbsup:

You describe the bug shield as a "snap-in". Can you tell a little more about how you attached it? After I saw it, I was thinking of using velcro. What do you think?

Chuc,

You are right, it is nice to have that opening to get access to the end of the mattress.

Lisa sewed up the shield and doubled hemmed it for strength on all edges to hold the snaps. We put about 4 snaps under the hinged shelf, 3 down each end under the angled trim side pieces, and 4 or 5 across the back of the trailer on the aluminum trim where the hatch latched down to. The other half of the snap is installed on the fabric with a simple snap installation tool. We too considered the velcro. Sewing half on the fabric and sticking the other to the trailer. But in the past I have always fought keeping the stuff stuck to what it was supposed to be stuck to. It would work just as well, though in holding the shield in place.

Another huge factor in anything we add to the Rascal is weight, so thus the fabric shield! Can't get much lighter than that.

I can take some additional detailed pics and post them up in the Album if you would like to see them.

Take care,
Terry & Lisa
Terry & Lisa
--------------------------------
From our LG Rascal to the Cabin-A.....The LG found a good home!

"When employed, live like your unemployed....so that when your unemployed you can live like your employed!!"

07rascal
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers