Mobi 6 wide review

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Mobi 6 wide review

Postby dreadcptflint » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Ok, I have done one outing with my Mobi and as promised it is a time for review. Mobi trailers are built in Idaho, there website is located at: http://mobiteardrops.com/. Here is a picture:

1. The frame is solid. I am dreading modifying the tongue area because the spare tire is very solidly mounted on a bracket. If I want a tongue box then I will have to build in a strange shape or cut off the bracket (which is welded very soundly to the frame).
2. I have found there is no problem with a lack of insolatation. We camped in 90+ weather and at one site there was some condensation and another there was not. It seems dependant on how much dew there was. We also were able to pull water out of the galley late in the afternoon and it was still cool.
3. There are no apparent leaks. We picked ours up after some good thunderstorms when we opened the trailer up there was no water to be found.
4. We found our trailer very attractive. (The builder can put materials together and they look good). The wood spurs going across the interior give it the open beam construction of a cabin. Even the choice in door pulls was good. We did take down the curtains as they got in the way.
5. The suspension and clearance was great. I was able to bounce down some pretty rough forest service roads with no problem. It also handled great on the highway.
6. Minor details do give a little challenge to the builder. There are zip ties with tails that need to be trimmed. The holes for the plumbing have not been caulked. One set of cabinet doors that are not true. These are relatively minor things.
7. We also found a few things with choice in materials as a little less than high end. I don't like the plastic for the sink facet because I prefer metal. I would have liked to have seen a closed fuse box. The battery box being strapped down instead of attached drives me a little nuts. This could be preference on my behalf.
8. I am also going to hit the hatch with some brads because there was some minor separation on one of the seems. They could have missed a small section however I am going to just beef the whole thing up just in case.
9. The height of everything was good. The back counter was only a little low for my wife to cut onions on. She is 5'6" and could use a little step stool to get in a little easier. I am 6' and have no problem scooting in and out.
10. I had stabilizing jacks added and do recomend that addition. We stayed hitched at one location and didn't use them and you could definitely feel the difference.
11. The mattress was good. It is a tri-fold and fabric covered. I awoke in the morning with no back ache.
12. The pass through cabinets are very cool. If you are camping with kids I would recommend using some child locks to keep them from playing with your supplies.
13. The interior DC outlet came in very handy. I use a CPAP and everything reached perfectly and was out of the way for comfortable rest.
14. The interior is huge. The three of us were able to sleep comfortably. Our little guy even got perpendicular and it wasn't too much of a problem. We sleeped on a king size mattress when tenting and the Mobi was better.

Overall I would have to rate the Mobi as an A-. I would gladly purchase one again and there are only minor things that need to be changed. The Mobi made camping incredibly easy and fun. I am waiting to post the mileage results because I could only get one check and that seems a little off to me.

:thumbsup:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:39 pm

Good review! Now I have to go look for an interior photo! :o

Mike...

edit: good interior shot too! Image
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby NW_Subie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:10 pm

Great review. Keep us up-to-date on your new Mobi.

Good to hear the lack on insulation wasn't an issue with 90 degree temperatures. I do a lot of eastern Oregon camping and was a little concerned. My LG gets a bit warm at times and it has bigger windows and a roof vent.

This TD really looks like the upgrade I'm looking for. I think a trip to Boise may be in my near future.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby Wimperdink » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:15 pm

Yes excellent review. Not enough of these details out there to help buyers make their decisions on manufactured tears. Thanks for the review.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Update

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:27 pm

During a jaunt down the Northwest corner of Oregon, I noticed the body seperating from the frame. :o

If you have one you may wish to check for this problem. I will post more later about the fixes that I have had to do with this trailer.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers