Little Guy taillight repair....

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Little Guy taillight repair....

Postby duke » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:22 pm

After I bought the used Little Guy and got it home, I knew it would need some minor repairs and I would want to modify it to my needs. The first thing I noticed was the large license plate bracket/light was strategically located exactly at groinal area height and would be, well an obstacle when working in the hatch area. No license plate needed for small trailers in Wisconsin, so I replaced it with a small LED running light.
When I removed the bracket/light, the screws came out too easily. Wanting to replace the backing block with something a little more substantial, I opened up the back interior panel and found evidence of prior leakage around the tail lights. The interior was dry at the time, but the leaks had caused some separation of the fiberglass from the tempered hardboard body material around the tail lights. I parked the trailer outside next to the garage that night, of course it rained, and there were fresh leaks in the morning. Into the garage she came for 4 days of drying out with fans, then two scrubbings of the discolored areas with detergent, more drying out, then two spraydowns with a bleach solution and air drying to prevent any mold.
The major culprits IMHO were less than stellar design and poor workmanship. The tail lights used are meant for a flat surface, not a curved surface like on the Little Guys rear. The rubber gaskets can accomodate wall material up to about 5/16" thick. The 1/8" or 5/32" thick wall of the Little Guy was not enough to hold the rubber gaskets securely in place. No caulking of any kind was used under the rubber gaskets, and the holes were sloppily cut in a dogbone shape, pinching the rubber gaskets away from the body, compounding the problem. Water was being channeled down the sides of the hatch directly onto the tops of the lights and running directly into the interior. If this trailer had seen heavy use in the rain, the back end would have dissolved.
My solution was to cut two "gaskets" out of 1/8" tempered hardboard and epoxy them to the inside around the existing holes. The inside hole was cut exactly to the template provided with the new LED tail lights, minus 1/16" in height to account for the curve in the back. The extra thickness would give the gaskets inner lip something to grab on to, holding the rubber gasket securely in place. I moistened the hardboard gaskets slightly and formed them around a coffee can and let them dry, hoping they would retain a slighty curved shape. Epoxy thickened with a small amount of filler and a lot of clamps held them in place. I applied some silicone caulk between the hardboard and fiberglass shell where they had separated around the holes.
The original holes were then hand rasped out to match the inner holes of the "gaskets". Two coats of epoxy sealed the inner edges.
My efforts to retain a curved shape didn't work. The inner hardboard "gasket" oilcanned the body flat in the area around the tail lights, especially the right side. Repeated wet/dry cycles have shrunk the hardboard. I applied some silicone caulk around the inner edge of the holes, in the mounting channel and under the outer lip of the rubber gaskets and slid them in place. A thin film of silicone around the interior rear of the rubber gaskets and the taillights were popped in place.
The finished product. After letting the caulk dry overnight, they passed the garden hose test. Two days later they passed the carwash pressure washer test. Not a drop inside. The LEDs are much brighter than the original tail lights and I think can be seen at a greater angle off to the side than the originals.
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. - Mark Twain
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby 01Sport » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:28 pm

Too bad you had that much damage...you did a great job fixing the problem.
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby hiker chick » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:37 am

Nice work!

Makes me nervous to know about this leakage potential.

What year is your Little Guy?
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:00 am

right, don't try to make a curved soft surface fit a hard flat surface.

I had a bit of a similar problem putting reflectors on the rear of my tear. I put them on and filled the voids with caulk.

Taillights and reflectors are light enough that once caulk stiffens up it will provide enough support.... when you smooth the caulk with your finger, it usually makes a nice looking curve.

oh, I tape around the area I caulk so I get a nice smooth edge once I remove the masking tape..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby duke » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:10 pm

What year is your Little Guy?

HC, it's a 2004. So far, this was the biggest problem I have found with it. Luckily no structural damage had occurred yet. In 4 years it was only slept in once. Used to haul college hockey equipment only. When we arrived (early) to pick it up, the previous owners were still washing off the layer of dust/dirt that covered it after nearly a year in their cabin's garage. My wife thought my bubble was a little off center, but I saw the diamond under the dross...

It looks like yours has the newer one piece molded tail section... I would recommend opening the rear interior panel for a yearly (minimum) inspection, or after driving in very wet conditions. Love the paint job and the pictures you've posted of your beautiful tear...

This is after a day of washing/waxing and some aluminum polishing.......
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. - Mark Twain
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby hiker chick » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks for the info and tips, Duke.

What metal polish do you use for the aluminum?
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Eunice » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:23 am

hiker chick wrote:Thanks for the info and tips, Duke.

I would like to know also. My side lights are ozidized and I need to make them smooth and shiny again!
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby duke » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Mother's Mag & Aluminium Polish

Polished the fenders once, washed them, polished them again. 4 years of oxidation gone.
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Re: Little Guy taillight repair....

Postby Flash » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Great post, Recently acquired mt Little guy and have the same problem.
Am working on a similar fix. Thanks for the great post and the photos
Flash
Captain Coleman

Re: Little Guy taillight repair....

Postby Rhino Ray » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Is it my imagination that I am seeing a lot of quality issues with Little Guy trailers? This is not the first post I've seen outlining leakage problems with their products. If I owned one I would take a very close look for leaks and the quality of the workmanship.
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

My Build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49746
Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers